Sign in with
Your question

Sandy brie info accurate? you decide

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2011 9:32:06 AM

well I have just come across this interesting info http://www.overclock.net/rumors-unconfirmed-articles/87... if it is accurate and is not bull im things are a lot cheaper than I expected and sandy bridge is something really worth the short wait
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 11:26:59 AM

for single gpu users, and video encoders, this will indeed be *the* system to have...

We will have to wait and see how much the gaming benchmarks are affected without two PCI-e 16x lanes for SLI/Crossfire, but I suspect the socket 1366 cpus will still be handing out wins in SLI/X-fire rigs....
Related resources
January 3, 2011 11:32:17 AM

It's a no brainer for anyone looking to upgrade now, but only if they have very old systems. It's still not enough even over a core 2 quad or a phenom.

I would wait a few more months, bulldozer could be special.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 5:01:15 PM

bobdozer said:
It's a no brainer for anyone looking to upgrade now, but only if they have very old systems. It's still not enough even over a core 2 quad or a phenom.

?? And what apps would those be??

For gamers, Anandtech reviews show 9 FPS over the X4 970 in Fallout 3, 26 in Left4Dead, 29 in FarCry2, 18 in Crysis Warhead, 44 in DAO, 28 in Dawn of War, 40 in WoW, 22 in Starcraft, 18 over the X4 975 in Civ V with full rendering and 44 with no rendering. And the 970/975 are not "very old systems".

For rendering/encoding/photoshop apps, the benefits are equally apparent.

To me it looks like Intel pulled off another Conroe - around 30% improvement over Nehalem, the prior gen.

Quote:
I would wait a few more months, bulldozer could be special.

It could very well be, but my understanding is that AMD has optimized it for server applications...
!