Dead drive thanks to MBR virus or thanks to me?

plutonicmind9

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Laptop brand and model: Asus K52JR
Hard drive brand and model: Seagate ST964032AS 640GB

Problem: One night, about 2 weeks ago now, I turned on my laptop and it hung at the Windows logo screen (the one BEFORE the log-on, with the shinning Windows logo). It hung for about 1hour before I decided to shut it down from the button on my laptop. I gave it about 5minutes, rebooted and now it stayed black with a cursor blinking (no POST).

So, I borrowed a laptop and looked it up and it suggested to fix the mbr through the Windows 7 Repair Disc. I did so, and also used Startup Repair about 3 times. It worked like a charm....for about 6 hours.

The problem came again this time hanging at the Welcome screen after I put my password. I decided to just full on format my HDD and re-install Windows (I'd already backed up all my important data in those 6 hours).

I did so and, again, it worked like a charm. For about a week.

The problem came again, this time I had the laptop on sleep, "woke" it up, opened up Google Chrome and nothing happened. I kept trying to open something; anything (even cmd, run, whatever) but nothing came up. So I restarted it (using the Windows restart did not work, so I had to turn it off from the power button) Again, it hung at the Welcome screen. It only did so for about 15minutes, then I could manage to download Malware Bytes and scan my PC (my normal AV is avast). It detected a Trojan virus after a full scan. It did not say what type/name/etc though.

So Malware Bytes removed the Trojan, yet the problem persisted. I attempted to get into Safe Mode and after several tries managed to do so. I scanned my PC (first with avast then Malware Bytes) and they found nothing. I decided to look for another option, and found out about zero fill format to deal with master boot record viruses (since my laptop had all the symptoms I found about those nasty ones).

I downloaded SeaTools for DOS, burned it on a disc (of course, on another laptop) and ran it on my PC. First, I did the zero fill (long) when it was done, I did a Long Test. When I came back, it had found 1 bad sector and had fixed it. So I did another zero fill, and when I got back about 6hrs later to my home, it was frozen. I could not move the mouse nor do any action, and the application's clock was just standing still. I don't know if this was the right decision, but I had no other option; I turned off the PC with the power button. I rebooted into SeaTools DOS, ran a short test and it found a problem. Ran a Long Test and about 5% it said the test could not be finished (both times displaying error code is 6ADFDD6C, a code which I could not find in SeaGate's site). I attempted another zero fill, but it froze at about 10%.

EVERY SINGLE TIME time it froze, an extremely small, green text with black background displayed on top of the SeaTools window. All I could make out of it was that there was an error, SeaTools could not test the drive, and "Thanks for using our tools" (you're welcome...I guess)

I went through the fuckit route and re-installed Windows 7 on my PC, and here I am posting this...It should be no surprise that the problem comes back in a week or so...

What do I do? Does this all mean my drive is plain dead? If so, was it my fault for doing zero fill twice? Because I don't get how I did zero fill, then long test found 1 problem and it was fixed, and all (according to SeaTools) was fine and dandy until it froze at around 70% on the second zero fill.

Should I get an HDD NOW, or should I give it one more shot with this one?

SeaTools is a pass-or-fail diagnostic.

Try a more comprehensive SMART diagnostic. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/

See this article for SMART info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

SeaTools error codes ("test codes") are a unique encrypted number that is derived from the serial number of the drive and the number of the failing test.

See http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/SeaTools-Test-Code-AAD39FFC/m-p/55191#M20387

plutonicmind9

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

Well that seems like a not so useful use for those test codes...damn, I keep getting closer to just having to buy a new drive... Well, thanks for the info man.

Running the DOS after I post this. Will come back with results. Thanks.

Edit: HDD Sentinel displayed 24% health, 181 bad sectors on disk surface (original contents of these were moved to spare area) Drive found 3 bad sectors during its self test. There are 3 weak sectos found on disk surface.

Rebooted, now it hangs at the "Starting Windows" screen; no logo comes up.

Time to change drive?

I think it is time to change the drive. It will only get worse with this drive.

plutonicmind9

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

Ah well, went and picked up a Western Digital from a local store.

All is fine now.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions!

(mod can close thread now)