speedracer98

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
This is the first pc I built and I'm pretty happy with the results I've been getting in games and such, what do you think?

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
CPU: Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB Superclocked
PSU: COOLER MASTER Elite 460
Case: Rosewill R220-P-BK

Along with a few random things like dvd burner and I used my old hard drive. The only thing I was worried with is if the PSU was good enough for the video card since I read somewhere you needed at least a 450w for that card. Also I'm thinking about upgrading to an SSD soon. What do you think is the best 40gb (or less) SSD?

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Why do you want that X4 925? Prices are cheap right now. Just get the X4 955.

Also, 40GB is not gonna be enough. Windows 7 will eat up about 20-25GB.

For nVidia cards, I always go with something above the recommended. They eat up a lot of power. So, I would get at least a 550W. Get a 750W just to be safe. I know its overkill for your system, but that's what I would do. Also make sure the power supply has plenty of amps. Anywhere in the high 30s and above is good.

sir philus

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
a gtx 460 is not a power hungry card at all, yes i agree the rest of the gtx 4xx series is because they are gf100 cards, rather get an x4 955 and as an upgrade in the future get an ssd as they will become more mainstream and prices will go down

A 40gigboot drive is plenty; that will allow him to install the OS and some other major programs like Office. He will need another HDD for other data storage, but the SSDs are really only good for boot drives at the moment.

Also, I'm running 2 GTX 460s overclocked on a 650w PSU. Why does he need a 750w again?

I would be wary about pushing the CM PSU to it's limits. They are not that renowned fortheir PSUs. Your system is fine the way it is now, but just keep that in mind for future upgrades. You will need a bigger psu for a second 460.

The best ones out there are the OCZ Vertex series (they use the Sandforce controller, which is the important part to SSDs).

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I have an 80GB SSD and I have 5 GB left after Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Office 2010, Adobe CS5, Lightroom 3, and a couple of other small programs. I also have indexing and system restore turned off, but read access is still fast as hell, which is what I care about.

On my laptop, I have a 60GB SSD and I have 18 GB left after Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Office 2010. I plan to put Photoshop Elements on it too. A 40GB SSD would not have done the job.

speedracer98

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I guess i didnt mention this is my current build finished just a few months ago, but yeah i realize now i should have gone with the black edition 3.2ghz for only like $20 more. the psu was a bad choice but it was cheap haha. it works i just hope it doesnt 'esplode' on me one day lol.

I have cs5 on this old hard drive and it only takes about 10 seconds to load photoshop up so the only thing i really want an ssd for is to see how fast win7 will boot on it, i was lookin at some intel SSDs but it looks like i was wrong so I will definitely get one from OCZ.

@masterasia i have win7 ultimate 64bit and it doesnt take up that much room with all the apps i got on it also.