HP Pavilion BIOS

There is a BIOS update for my laptop and just wondered if it is more risky
than it is worth to update if I am having no problem and moreover the
problem it fixes (Fixes issue where the serial port on the docking station
is not properly recognized.) isn't a problem for me?
3 answers Last reply
More about pavilion bios

    > There is a BIOS update for my laptop and just wondered if it is more
    risky
    > than it is worth to update if I am having no problem and moreover the

    Hit or miss. Occasionally you can get lucky with enhancements not
    mentioned in the release notes (improved power management, fixes to
    broken BIOS features). As a rule, I keep up to date with the latest
    BIOSes, when available, because of ACPI fixes.

    The risk level is pretty low. I've never toasted a machine yet doing a
    BIOS update, although it does happen occasionally. Make sure you have a
    fully charged battery in the machine when running the update, and I'd
    advise using the bootable floppy disk method of doing the update, if
    you can.

    I wouldnt even worry about resolving an issue with a serial port on a
    docking station?? Pretty much worthless port Ive found.. If it isnt
    broke dont fixit.. For some reason weve had a rash of failed BIOS
    flash attempts reasons unknown... Most of these had a power interrupt
    during the flash sequence and this renders the chip inop as well as
    the motherboard. These are not easily changed on some models.. IE: FX
    Sonys and similar units.

    "Jim" <jcgc50@msn.com> wrote in message
    > There is a BIOS update for my laptop and just wondered if it is more risky
    > than it is worth to update if I am having no problem and moreover the
    > problem it fixes (Fixes issue where the serial port on the docking station
    > is not properly recognized.) isn't a problem for me?

    You might want to see if there is a user group for your model Pavilion. My
    zd 7000 has a user group here:

    http://www.zd7000forums.com/

    There is lots of info on bios upgrades there. What model do you have?
    HTH,
    Bob

Laptops BIOS HP Pavilion