intel i7 870 2,93GHZ
nvidia GTX 460 1GB
4GB 1600MHZ ram
Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
soundblaster audigy (old)
asus dvd-rw (old)
1TB seagate HDD - 7,200 rpm
500GB seagate HDD (old) - 7,200rpm
-very cheap crappy case (20$ - 1x 80mm fan)
> CHIEFTEC A-80 500 W PSU <

I have been having different problems with the CPU (like it reaching 98 degrees C ) , and I want to invest in buying the uber cool HAF 922 (stock fans) by CoolerMaster... and sometime later in buying the CM Hyper 212+ cooler for my cpu.

PSU question : Will my current 500 W chieftec be able to support my full spec computer including the HAF 922 and the hyper 212 without being any risk of it burning out or must I hurry to invest in a larger maybe 750 W psu ? .. and if so could you please give me ur opinion on what PSU would be best for my specs and with a well DECENT price ?

Case question : Will the HAF 922 (which I have seen that alot of ppl love) , be able to fix at least a big part of my CPU overheating issue ?

Thank you so much !

More about : psu case questions pls

a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2011 12:10:33 PM

yes it'll help... getting the air circulation in the case is a good start to have cool rigs...

Technically a single GTX 460, one sound card and two HDD's shouldn't pose a problem with 500W... Is your chieftec the super series or nitro series??? if it is and its less than year old then it would be OK...
m
l
January 3, 2011 1:18:38 PM

abully said:
yes it'll help... getting the air circulation in the case is a good start to have cool rigs...

Technically a single GTX 460, one sound card and two HDD's shouldn't pose a problem with 500W... Is your chieftec the super series or nitro series??? if it is and its less than year old then it would be OK...

Hey and thanks for answering :)  . Where cand I check which series is my chieftec ? ...also I bought it 2 weeks ago with all the other components (not listed as old:p )
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2011 1:59:05 PM

see this pic... in the side the model number should be there... cross check it against their models in their website www.chieftec.com

m
l
January 3, 2011 3:51:40 PM

abully said:
see this pic... in the side the model number should be there... cross check it against their models in their website www.chieftec.com

Ok, thx. The model no. is : CTG-500-80P from A80 series ... will it be enough to run the whole rig ?
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2011 6:09:27 AM

with the specs you had stated earlier YES... it should be enough... but dont add any other hardware which requires more wattage... it might stretch the limits of the psu... and also try to run the fans thru the motherboard unless you have a fan controller...
February 2, 2011 6:36:09 PM

Best answer selected by Creohan.
m
l
!