Sign in with
Your question

Simple Hard Drive question

Last response: in Storage
January 16, 2013 4:07:14 AM

I have a 80G SSD and also a 1TB internal hard drive. I'm finally running out of space on the 1TB hard drive and wanted to know what's my next option?

I use the SSD for running basic windows programs and any daily use programs that I normally need, I use the 1TB for my media (watching movies, pictures, playing video games, music).

Anyway my question is.. Is it viable to watch dvds/blurays or play video games off of a external hard drive? Should I stick with adding another internal drive? Anything important I should know before making a purchase? Like brand, model, size, speed, etc

Thanks
January 16, 2013 4:26:49 AM

If the external hard drive uses USB2.0 , the loading times/saving checkpoints on games could potentially be bad.
If you are lookin for a external drive, and have a USB3.0 mobo, do try to get a USB3.0 based drive.

Movies/TV/Music etc is completely fine on a external USB2.0 drive.
m
l
January 16, 2013 6:10:32 AM

Thanks for the very fast reply!

I heard through brief internet browsing that external hard drives have a bad rap due to wear and tear with cord connectivity and having a short life span.. Is this a myth or just dependent on brand/model?

I have plenty of room in my thermaltake lvl10 gt case for extra equipment so I definitely wouldn't mind just sticking with an internal, I'm just trying to compare the difference with price, HD size, with reliability.

m
l
January 16, 2013 7:01:25 AM

I'd say that most of the models from major brands are prone to 'wear and tear' and 'bad manufacturing'.

So IMHO, look at the warranty claim clearly before buying.
m
l
!