How to run 3 monitors

jerrygerald

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Hi, I am new to this, so please bear with me. I want to run 3 monitors using an ASUS CM5571 computer running Windows 7, 8 gig of ram and with a 300 watt power supply. The monitors will display text, charts, and tables. I do not do gaming. I would like to use the AMD ATI 5450 Graphics card with 512mb, and with DisplayPort, VGA, and DVI ports. As I do not have a monitor with a DisplayPort, I realise that an active adapter is required to convert the DisplayPort output to VGA or DIV. A 400 watt power supply is recommended for the ATI 5450. Would like to know if my proposed setup will work and if the 300 watt power supply is adequate. Thanks

Solution
First of all if they recommend a 400 W supply, that would be what I'd go with at minimum. Make sure it's from a quality vendor too.

Win7/64 with 8 gig ram is good.

The 5450 has HDMI, DVI and VGA, no display port. Normally you only get to drive 2 of the 3 outputs at once but I'm not sure for this card. I do know some of the higher end ATI card do drive 3 monitors (Eye Infinity types).

I looks like the Asus box already has a mother board video output you can use. The trick is get both integrated graphics and ATI card working at the same time. Sounds doable.

FYI display port uses a packetized video portocol while HDMI is just DVI with embedded audio and encryption.

Hope this helps.

siliconvideo

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
First of all if they recommend a 400 W supply, that would be what I'd go with at minimum. Make sure it's from a quality vendor too.

Win7/64 with 8 gig ram is good.

The 5450 has HDMI, DVI and VGA, no display port. Normally you only get to drive 2 of the 3 outputs at once but I'm not sure for this card. I do know some of the higher end ATI card do drive 3 monitors (Eye Infinity types).

I looks like the Asus box already has a mother board video output you can use. The trick is get both integrated graphics and ATI card working at the same time. Sounds doable.

FYI display port uses a packetized video portocol while HDMI is just DVI with embedded audio and encryption.

Hope this helps.

Solution

jerrygerald

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

Thanks, apologise for not getting back sooner, away on other matters. Appreciate the passive adapter suggestion.