Inexpensive board with support for the largest and fastest ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Aloha
any ideas out there about which motherboard supports the largest amount of ram.
I am playing around with ramdrives and this subject is now on top of my list of things to find out.
I am actually trying for a lower cost build.
i can sometimes find 8gb ram for $30 so that is pretty cheap but that is 4gb memory modules so i need lots of slots.
I missed a deal like that yesterday :(
probably I am more concerned with largest then fastest since 1600 is probably the fastest ram i can get for cheap.

anyway I don't know if i can really afford a server board and I don't think I can find DDR2 ram at those prices either so that eliminates a few choices.

any input would be appreciated.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
well its not actually
i have an i3-2120 and and x4 955 (unlocked x2) but i have noticed that the boards with most slots (6) are actually older 1366 so if i need to do that i will just swap cpus.
and go with one of those

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
OK well its possible I could set this up with a server motherboard and start out with just the cheapest set up possible with room for growth in both cpu and ram.

I would of course want to use regular memory not expensive server memory.

so which sever motherboards would support using regular desktop memory and have lots of slots for ram?

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I got cut off to many messages in a short period of time.
I guess its not polite to talk to yourself on this board.
anyway

I did notice for a few dollars more some cpu with .5ghz higher clock rates so I would get those for sure.

Does anybody know if there would be any overclocking on those? I would guess probably nobody overclocks server chips.

I am kind of curious what you are going to be using this machine for. even though the faster / cheaper non server boards use less slots you still can put up to around 32GB or RAM into them 0_0

OCing the server chips... While it is technically possible, I highly doubt those MB's would have a BIOS that allows you to control voltages. The whole premise around servers is a stable unit that has almost no need for downtime. OCing kind of defeats that purpose.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
yep on the OC

if you know where I can get 8gb chips then let me know
but I think when you combine the cost of the board and the chips to build the same size ram you are going to pay much more for 4 * 8gb sticks then 8 * 4gb sticks

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Actually the cpu seems to have more effect on speed of ramdisk then the memory speed, So now I need to consider the CPU that I can afford for each board.

Looking for very strong cpu equal to or above I7-2600k
how about opteron 6128?

The first board (although it doesn't say it on NewEgg) is EVGA's 1366 "Classified 3" board, which is their top of the line 1366 board.

most of the price difference is marketing, although it is definitely geared to OC higher than the others. Especially with the heatsinks across the PCB and NB/SB

Status
Not open for further replies.