"Automation server can't create object"

I posted in the VS.NET newsgroup but I'll give it a try here as well since I
now found out that my problem is not limited to Visual Studio - that's just
where I noticed it first.

I have Windows XP Pro.

I go to Help and Support -> Use tools to view computer info & diagnose
problems -> My Computer Info and I try the links to get info about my
computer. "View the status of my system" and "Find information about
hardware..." both give an error "Automation server can't create object". The
same error appears when I chose "Advanced System Information" -> "View Group
policy settings applied". Also whenever I try to create a new project in
Visual Studio I get the same error in a message box, "Automation server can't
create object".

I have tried registering scrrun.dll (regsvr32 scrrun.dll) and it doesn't
register - it gives an error and DllRegisterServer failed. I have tried
downloading scripten.exe 5.6 the Windows scripting for Windows XP. I run
this and it finishes OK and says to restart my computer. When I restart I
get the error that it couldn't register scrrun.dll.

I uninstalled Visual Studio and manually removed all traces from the
registry. After that I could register scrrun.dll OK. But I still get the
"Aumation Server can't create object" in the Help and Support section.

This error has started since the domain of which my machine is part was
changed by the Systems Engineer at work. Before that I could log in and use
the Help and Support options and Visual Studio no problem. However, they
only worked when I logged in as a domain user. When I log in to the local
machine as Administrator or as a user that is a member of the Administrators
group, I got the errors.

I have partition images of my System partition dating back two months. I
restored the earliest one, from two months ago, and on that I could run the
Help and Support functions with no errors either as a domain user or logged
in to the local machine. So something has broken in the last two months.

Any advice would be appreciated. If the worst comes to the worst I'll have
to roll back my system to the drive image from 2 months ago and reinstall
Visual Studio and everything else again, then get the systems guy and work to
re-register me in the domain and redo the network settings. But I wonder if
there's anything I can try first.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

Hi there,

I would start by looking for viruses/spyware etc...
Stopped and put into Manual Start Mode - for the time being -
as many unecessary Services (Run -> services.msc)
Log off and back on, My Computer -> Manage and set a scan disk w/ fix &
repair problem,
reboot and take it from there.

Joseph
IT Analyst
"Viking Man" <VikingMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted in the VS.NET newsgroup but I'll give it a try here as well since
> now found out that my problem is not limited to Visual Studio - that's
> just
> where I noticed it first.
>
> I have Windows XP Pro.
>
> I go to Help and Support -> Use tools to view computer info & diagnose
> problems -> My Computer Info and I try the links to get info about my
> computer. "View the status of my system" and "Find information about
> hardware..." both give an error "Automation server can't create object".
> The
> same error appears when I chose "Advanced System Information" -> "View
> Group
> policy settings applied". Also whenever I try to create a new project in
> Visual Studio I get the same error in a message box, "Automation server
> can't
> create object".
>
> I have tried registering scrrun.dll (regsvr32 scrrun.dll) and it doesn't
> register - it gives an error and DllRegisterServer failed. I have tried
> downloading scripten.exe 5.6 the Windows scripting for Windows XP. I run
> this and it finishes OK and says to restart my computer. When I restart I
> get the error that it couldn't register scrrun.dll.
>
> I uninstalled Visual Studio and manually removed all traces from the
> registry. After that I could register scrrun.dll OK. But I still get the
> "Aumation Server can't create object" in the Help and Support section.
>
> This error has started since the domain of which my machine is part was
> changed by the Systems Engineer at work. Before that I could log in and
> use
> the Help and Support options and Visual Studio no problem. However, they
> only worked when I logged in as a domain user. When I log in to the local
> machine as Administrator or as a user that is a member of the
> Administrators
> group, I got the errors.
>
> I have partition images of my System partition dating back two months. I
> restored the earliest one, from two months ago, and on that I could run
> the
> Help and Support functions with no errors either as a domain user or
> logged
> in to the local machine. So something has broken in the last two months.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. If the worst comes to the worst I'll
> have
> to roll back my system to the drive image from 2 months ago and reinstall
> Visual Studio and everything else again, then get the systems guy and work
> re-register me in the domain and redo the network settings. But I wonder
> if
> there's anything I can try first.

Thanks for your reply. In the end, not knowing what was wrong I just did an
upgrade reinstall of XP and it fixed it (for now!).