Sign in with
Your question

New Computer - Thoughts on my Build?

Last response: in Systems
October 7, 2010 3:04:18 PM

Hi.

I'm finally putting together a much needed upgrade over my current P4 3.0 GHZ system. My initial goal was to buy and build a moderately priced ($800-1000) system that would be used primarily for gaming. Here's what I put together:

CASE - Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case - $60

CPU - Intel Core i5-760 - $205

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 - $136

HARD DRIVE - Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB - Already have this drive on my current system, will be putting it in my new one

VID CARD - Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 GC Edtion 768MB - $160 (w/ additional $20 rebate)

MEMORY - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 - $85

POWER SUPPLY - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus - $90 (w/ additional $10 rebate)

CPU COOLING - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $30

OPTICAL - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R - $17

Total: $783

Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated. I tried to avoid NewEgg wherever possible, unfortuantely I get charged tax with them by being in New Jersey.
October 7, 2010 3:11:09 PM

What type of monitor will you be using?
Related resources
October 7, 2010 4:58:54 PM

Get a P7P55D-E Pro Asus board, as that board doesn't have a second usable graphics card slot.

Gigabyte also has problems with allowing the second pci-e x16 lane to be even usable in x8 mode when usb3/sata6 is enabled.

As well, get the 1GB version of the 460 card and when you have some more money get a second for sli.

Get this set of memory, G skill as well, but better specs.

These upgrades appear to be feasible with your given budget and they will be greatly appreciated!

With regards to monitors, any cheap LCD with a good RMA policy is probably your best bet.

People usually recommend a cheap Acer, but that samsung is probably also fine.

Monitor quality, with LCDs, is negligible at this price range because anything in this price range uses TN panels, which sucks in the eyes of any connoisseur.

Sorry I used newegg links, but I figured it would be the easiest to show exactly what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps!
October 7, 2010 6:58:57 PM

beerhelmet said:
Get a P7P55D-E Pro Asus board, as that board doesn't have a second usable graphics card slot.

Gigabyte also has problems with allowing the second pci-e x16 lane to be even usable in x8 mode when usb3/sata6 is enabled.

Thanks for the advice!

Is it really worth the extra money for the P7P55D-E Pro? It's about 40% more expensive the MB in my current setup, which seems pretty significant to me.
October 7, 2010 8:14:16 PM

whats your budget? if you dont wanna increase your budget that much

go with an AMD build like a Phenom II X4 955 or 965 (make sure its black edition)

and then get a better GPU like a GTx 4601gb or a 5770 1gb or a 5850....

all those=better performance
October 7, 2010 11:04:51 PM

Budget is about $800-1000.
October 8, 2010 6:46:34 AM

BigAT said:
Thanks for the advice!

Is it really worth the extra money for the P7P55D-E Pro? It's about 40% more expensive the MB in my current setup, which seems pretty significant to me.

Well, I have the board myself and I really like it. It has some nice features and I had a very easy time building with it.

That said, if you don't need/want the features then go ahead and get the other motherboard, but a motherboard is probably the most painful computer part to replace.

I guess one thing I forgot to check was whether that 800-1000 budget includes the monitor, or excludes.

If it includes the monitor and you don't have any other you are willing to use until you get a little more funds, then I would go with and AMD setup.

To clarify for us about certain particulars, do you mind filling out the sticky at the top level of the new build section called "How to ask for build advice..", or something like that?

Hope this helps!
October 8, 2010 12:36:41 PM

yah if you gotta fit a monitor into that 800-1000$ budget you NEED to go AMD build....if you dont...id still recommend it anyways
!