multiple internet connections

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 7, 2005 9:52:05 AM

On my laptop, I have 4 options of connecting to to the internet: ethernet
port, wireless, modem, and celluar card. I am curious about a couple of
things.

If I make net connections through more than one of the above, is there a
hierarchy by which the computer "decide" which one to use?

Is there a way to simultaneouly use 2 or more connections to speed up
downloads?

Thanks.

Bill T
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 7, 2005 9:52:06 AM

>If I make net connections through more than one of the above, is there a
>hierarchy by which the computer "decide" which one to use?

Yes there is, but a "normal" setup is not equipped to deal with
multiple connections. For all u know your first connection is what the
machine uses and ignores the rest as they come up, or it goes with the
last established connection.

>Is there a way to simultaneouly use 2 or more connections to speed up
>downloads?

CAN'T if you are thinking of downloading the same file at twice the
speed.

DOABLE if you are initiating multiple downloads, as in downloading two
files simultaneously, rather than one-at-a-time from a single
connection.
January 7, 2005 9:52:06 AM

Well, I have a cable modem connected to a router for my always on
Internet access. I also have a dial-up modem connection from my main
computer. When I use the dial-up, it becomes my Internet connection.
When I hang up the modem, my Internet connection reverts to the always
on cable modem.

jimbo
a b D Laptop
January 7, 2005 3:05:40 PM

"jimbo" wrote...
> When I use the dial-up, it becomes my Internet connection.
> When I hang up the modem, my Internet connection reverts to the always
> on cable modem.

That makes me curious as to what would happen with my laptop, which has a
wireless modem and a port replicator that hooks by ethernet to the same
wireless router. When I dock the laptop, I pull the wireless card so it
uses the wire, but what would happen if I didn't?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 7, 2005 3:05:41 PM

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:05:40 -0500, "Don Jennings" <djennings@iu9.org>
wrote:

>That makes me curious as to what would happen with my laptop, which has a
>wireless modem and a port replicator that hooks by ethernet to the same
>wireless router. When I dock the laptop, I pull the wireless card so it
>uses the wire, but what would happen if I didn't?

It will blow up!!!

....NOT. Why ask us? u got the set up there, DO IT, and watch which
activity lights keep blinking.
January 7, 2005 6:01:40 PM

Yes, an experiment would be interesting. As long as you have different
IP addresses for the wireless PC card and the ethernet connection you
should be OK with regard to IP address conflicts. Windows could get
confused as to which connection to use. But in my case, Windows seems
to use some selection process that favors the dial-up connection over
the router. Or maybe it just selects the last connection to be made as
the current.

Try it and let us know the results.

jimbo
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2005 2:16:53 AM

> That makes me curious as to what would happen with my laptop, which has a
> wireless modem and a port replicator that hooks by ethernet to the same
> wireless router. When I dock the laptop, I pull the wireless card so it
> uses the wire, but what would happen if I didn't?

In the process of setting up and troubleshooting my wireless router, I have
frequently had both wireless and cable connections through the router.
Seems to work fine.

I just ran an experiment on my setup (Windows XP running on a Thinkpad), and
it looks like the cable connection has precedence over the wireless in
connecting to the net.

Bill T
January 19, 2009 3:56:02 PM

I had this work for me and I don't understand how. Can someone please explain how this could work. I had a dell laptop with a centrino w/lan. I put my picmcia ATnT cell modem in the side. I was at a hospital with free internet. 150 to 200kb. Alone, my modem card would show around 200kb. With each one individually on I tried to download and watch Netflix movies. No Go. Then I ran them together and it worked!!!! I ran speedtest. and it showed 350kb. ALone each one would never reach 300kb. How was I able to make this work. It appeared that I had pulled off a share of connections. Let me know this is facinating to me and I can't find an answer anywhere....
!