Computer Randomly Freezes

Hey everyone,

I have been having trouble with a computer that I recently built about two months ago. At the moment, the computer will just randomly freeze and the screen is just a static image. These freezes happen at random and I am doing nothing in particular when they occur. I might be watching a youtube video, playing a again, writing a paper or even starting up my computer. Sometimes the computer freezes right after booting, while other times I can be on the computer for hours before it decides to freeze. At first I thought that computer was overheating, so I took off my heatsink, cleaned it as well as the processor and put on some new thermal paste. I also have 4 fans going and my computer sits between 27 - 35 degrees celcius as shown on CPUTemp. I have tried reseating the memory and also did a memtest. Both of my sticks passed. I have also tried reformatting my computer, but that did not fix it as well. In my event viewer I am receiving the same critical error each time the problem occurs. It says Kernel-Power in my event viewer: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding crashed or lost power unexpectedly." I am not sure what would be the next step at the moment.

Specs:

MSI 870A-G54
AMD X4 955 3.2 Ghz Black Edition
GeForce GTX 460 768MB
2x2G Corsair XMS3
1TB Samsung
OCZ 600W PSU

If there is anything else I need to provide, I would be more than happy to get it. Any help would be great. I having been trying to resolve this problem for the past couple weeks and I am beginning to get frustrated.
2 answers Last reply
More about computer randomly freezes
  1. I forgot to say that I am also using Windows 7 64-bit. The machine was working great for the first couple months.
  2. Here is the heatsink I am using as well. I am not using the stock one.

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems