Sign in with
Your question

Where's the AMD mobos w/PCI Ex. 3.0 promised would be here by now?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 31, 2011 6:31:51 PM

Where's the AMD motherboards with PCI Ex. 3.0 support promised would be here by now?

August 3, 2010

PCI Express 3.0: On Motherboards By This Time Next Year?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-3.0-pci...

I'm specifically interested in motherboards for AMD. I've not even heard AMD mention PCI Express 3.0 - why not?

What is the hold up?

More about : amd mobos pci promised

a c 716 V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 7:08:38 PM

The new AMD 9XX chipset clearly doesn't support PCIe 3.0, and the only AMD PCIe 3.0 upcoming offering, supposedly, are the HD 7000 series GPUs. My best observation is that the AM3+ won't offer PCIe 3.0, and supposedly the 2nd generation Socket FM2 will offer PCIe 3.0.

The Opteron 4200 and Opteron 6200 are slated in 2012 to have PCIe 3.0 controllers, but no other info is available.

If you want PCIe 3.0 then ALL components MUST support it: GPU, MOBO/Chipset and CPU. The quickest path to get ALL 3 is the SB-E on LGA 2011, 32-lanes of PCIe 3.0, with a 'new' PCIe 3.0 GPU; the release dates are October/November 2011. Until the current GPUs are considerably faster 1.5X~2.0+X the PCIe 3.0 will offer little to no benefits. Currently, the GTX 580 barely saturates 8x PCIe 2.x much less 16x PCIe 2.x or translated 4x PCIe 3.0 much less 8x PCIe 3.0 and forget 16x PCIe 3.0x.

PCIe 4 rumor mill -> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pci-express-pcie-3.0-4...
m
l
August 31, 2011 11:22:12 PM

Good post, jaquith.

I was disappointed with the 990 mobos as they're still stuck in PCI 2.0 and Hyper-transport 3.0 with only a few having rev 3.1. I figured HT 4.0 would've been out by now too. I guess I'll be waiting for the 10xx mobo's?

Quote:
"If you want PCIe 3.0 then ALL components MUST support it"

Yep, that's what I want - a "true" or complete next generation platform. My system is okay for now but gaming is't. I simply refuse to waste my money on stuff that will soon be obsolete. I'd rather wait. My PC will last me another couple years.

I had heard that PCI started working on PCI 4.0, which is good to know. Of course, it'll be 5 years or so before we see it.

So, AMD's Bulldozer ... Opteron 4200 and Opteron 6200 will be released September 26, 2011

http://www.cpu-wars.com/2011/08/amd-to-launch-next-gene...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390410,00.asp
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 11:55:10 PM

I quickly glanced and saw "C2012" for Opteron 4200 and "G2012" for Opteron 6200 and my 'mind' saw 2012 vs the socket.

The upgrade we need the most is 'SATA4' the current SSD's have fully saturated the SATA3 bandwidth, and PCIe based SSD's are the only choice for a single solution.
m
l
September 1, 2011 12:44:38 AM

I just wanted to add to the record here ... I just looked it up and according to the 'HyperTransport Consortium' website HT 3.0 has been out since 2006 and rev. 3.1 has been out since 2008.

http://www.hypertransport.org/default.cfm?page=Technolo...

Plus, PCI Ex 2.0 has been around since Jan of 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_2....

It really is time for HT 4.0 and PCI Ex 3.0.

But, you're right, we certainly need SATA 4. I just found some news at SATA you may find interesting ...

http://www.sata-io.org

SATA + PCI Express = SATA Express
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/sata_pci_express_...

I guess SATA 3 has been out since 08 or so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
m
l
September 1, 2011 5:35:45 PM

I'm curious to find out if the new XBox 720 console will include a mobo with PCI Express 3.0? Surely the XBox 720 would include USB 3.0?
m
l
September 1, 2011 5:53:14 PM

Don't count on it Jose. I wouldn't expect Microsoft(any console manufacturer for that matter) to spend extra money including stuff like that. Chances are if you asked most console gamers/users what USB 3.0 or PCI Express 3.0 is most wouldn't even know.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 8:20:55 PM

Don't know, but it'll bomb unless it has Blu-Ray. The 'next' Xbox won't even be unveiled until 2012. I just hope the damn thing runs cooler...
m
l
September 1, 2011 8:41:17 PM

If mircosoft doesn't include Blu-Ray then they honestly don't deserve to earn any money from it. Their choice to not include it with the 360 was horrendous, I'd like to know what those companies who supported HD-DVD are thinking now lol.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 9:31:36 PM

Microsoft 'was' a backer of 'HD-DVD' with HDi instead of Sony's BD-J -- oopsy! IMO - had the Xbox 360 shipped with an internal 'HD-DVD' then BR might have been the Betamax instead it's visa-versa. Similarly, I think Nintendo was dumb with that mini-DVD and later with the WII lack of DVD movie support short of a Wii homebrew hack. --- All examples of shortsighted pencil pushers vs visionaries.

There are only few 'Console' games that get my attention and then only where there's no PC counterpart. IF Sony came up with a few crazy good PS3/PS4 only games that could really do harm on the 'next' Xbox. --- it's what I would do ;) 
m
l
September 2, 2011 4:27:05 PM

Thanks trogdor796. Scary thought but, you may be right. That would really suck if the new XBox did not include PCI 3 & USB 3 - because including them would simply be apart of a new, next generation platform, right? That's what I'm most interested in is a true, fully next generation platform.

"Out with the old, in with the new"

You really think XBox will bomb if it doesn't include Blu-Ray? That's not really as important to me since I don't have any Blu-Ray DVD's. Or, are you just talking about the capability for Blu-Ray? It certainly would be sweet if it would at least play Blu-Ray.
m
l
September 2, 2011 4:34:20 PM

I'm talking about the capacity for Blu-Ray, but also the ability to play the discs. You might now care about it, but think of the millions out there who have a full library full of Blu-Ray discs, only to be told the next xbox wont support it.

And with the graphics for games getting better and better, the capacity of Blu-Ray is more important. Look right now at some of the games for xbox360 that are on multiple discs because it can't fit on one. This is never the case with PS3 due to Blu-Ray.

But I would think Microsoft would use it. There's no other logical format that they would use.
m
l
September 3, 2011 2:57:24 PM

Well, you're absolutely correct:

"...with the graphics for games getting better and better, the capacity of Blu-Ray is more important....some of the games for xbox360 that are on multiple discs because it can't fit on one."

Just seems like basic common sense at this point. Who'd be silly enough to buy a new XBox 720 for $500 if it doesn't include Blue-Ray capabilities? Might as well just stick with the 360.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 3, 2011 4:31:38 PM

Don't know, but it'll bomb unless it has Blu-Ray. The 'next' Xbox won't even be unveiled until 2012. I just hope the damn thing runs cooler... said:
Don't know, but it'll bomb unless it has Blu-Ray. The 'next' Xbox won't even be unveiled until 2012. I just hope the damn thing runs cooler...

No arguments from me! Since Microsoft will be eating crow that typically translates into $ money, and probably expalins why the Xbox hasn't come out with a new Console for quite some time. Sony costs vs Microsoft's 'retail' :??: 

I assume it will support 3D and other newer technologies.
m
l
September 4, 2011 2:34:10 PM

I'd like to see some quad-core GPU's with PCI Express 3.0 in the near future.

What are the chances of the new XBox 720 having a serious GPU?
m
l
September 4, 2011 2:44:32 PM

Is there actually any pci-e 3.0 graphics cards out yet?
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 4, 2011 4:39:03 PM

^Nope. I'm certain they're in the works but I haven't seen an PCIe 3.0 GPUs for sale - neither gaming or professional.

The closest I've heard of are the AMD HD 7000 series GPUs coming out this year to coincide with the MOBO's with PCIe 3.0, but I'm certin there's some nVidia e.g. 'GTX 600 series' - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvidia-GTX-600-to-Be-Rel...
m
l
September 4, 2011 4:46:43 PM

So in that case it matters not thata there are no boards with pci-e 3.0 out yet. Until there is theres no point to a pci-e 3 board.

I reckon when the boards come out with it on, then we will see cards supporting it come along.
m
l
September 4, 2011 6:05:24 PM

That article came out in January, 2011. It appears that the Kepler, Nvidia GTX 600-series GPU's are already delayed a couple months and may not be out until 2012.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gpu-kepler-ferm...

Here are the newist GPU's I'm aware of ... they're both dual-core but, the 6990 is only PCI 2.1 while the 590 is still just PCI 2.0. Are they even trying?

GeForce GTX 590 vs Radeon HD 6990
http://www.hwcompare.com/9822/geforce-gtx-590-vs-radeon...

I wonder how long it will take them to come out with a quad-core GPU with PCI Express 3.0 capabilities??? By the time they do, I suppose DirectX 12 might be out? My guess is 2020 - LOL ;)  with all the set backs and delays over the last couple years.

There won't be any PCI Express 3.0 products until motherboards are equipped with PCI gen 3. So, they need to get cracking on the new next generation mobos.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 4, 2011 6:50:48 PM

Release Dates - the only guarantee is the day you can buy one. I recall the LGA 2011 release date debate - I happened to be correct and some very good members insisted 2012 - neither of us knew for sure and relied on our sources ;) 

If you read or reread my first post and other posts I've had on this subject -- the BIG gains & benefits to PCIe 3.0 are not the GPUs themselves but the Chipsets and peripherals performance. The 'shared' bandwidth 'today' is a big problem with 'Swiss-Army' MOBO for USB, SATA, add-on Chips, etc and to a much lesser degree the 'GPU' itself. {if eSATA this then SATA that is disabled or Marvell SATA with x1 PCIe on SATA3 delivering 360~380MB/s vs ~600MB/s as 'expected'.

IMO - I expect very little to no GPU improvement by PCIe 2.x vs PCIe 3.0 alone. Not to be confused with a Faster GPU being Faster regardless to PCIe type. I mean if you example had: GTX 590 (PCIe 2.1) on a PCIe 2.0 x16 compared to GTX 590 (PCIe 3.0) on a PCIe 3.0 x16 = same performance and any differences would be <1%~0% and otherwise within a 'Margin of Error'. The reason is simple, the GTX 590 barely saturates the x8 and cannot saturate x16 PCIe 2.0.

What we needed 'yesterday' is 'SATA4' or whatever name sticks; the SSD's are and have been fully saturating the SATA3. Yes, I've seen the 'SATA Express' from 'SATA I-O'.
m
l
September 4, 2011 7:06:23 PM

Quote:
"the BIG gains & benefits to PCIe 3.0 are not the GPUs themselves but the Chipsets and peripherals performance."

Yes, I'm with ya. This isn't really about GPU's, for me, it's simply about a new, next generation platform. I agree with you on 'SATA 4' too.

Looky what I just found:

AMD Radeon HD 7000 GPU Series to Feature PCI Express 3.0 Support

That article was written back in July, 2011, but I never heard anything about it. I would have to assume that PCIe 3 motherboards are in the making if AMD's Radeon 7000 GPU's are already set to feature PCIe 3 and are coming out in just a few more months ???
m
l
September 5, 2011 5:09:17 PM

Well, the news above pretty much guarantees that the new XBox 720 will use PCIe 3 as a new, next generation platform. It would be utterly absurd not to - equal to if not worse than not including Blue-Ray capability.

The new AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU's are said to begin becoming available in Q4 2011 starting in October. While the new Bulldozer CPU is said to come out Sept 26th.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 5, 2011 6:29:12 PM

The HD 7000 release is lining-up with the SB-E/LGA 2011 at least so it seems.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 6, 2011 2:27:12 PM

We know.

The topic is "I'm specifically interested in motherboards for AMD" with PCIe 3.0.

Frankly, the PCIe 3.0 Z68 out now are pretty much useless, the PCIe is limited to the GPU lanes which requires both a PCIe 3.0 GPU and CPU. So sure buy the MOBO and toss your CPU and GPU and even then the high-end PCIe 2.1 GPU's barely saturate x8 lanes of PCIe and aren't even close to touching x16 now.

The 'real' advantage to PCIe 3.0 are to the peripherals {Chipset, add-on chipset(s), SATA, USB, etc} and to a much lesser degree the GPU.

But if you look-up a couple posts ago I already spelled it out...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2011 2:42:43 PM

I figured since you spelled it out there was nothing for me to add to that... I also didn't read anything about MSI's board here so I posted it.
m
l
September 6, 2011 6:37:47 PM

Yes, I knew about the PCI gen 3 mobos for Intel's Z68. I didn't know it was worthless though, so thanks to jaquith for pointing out that important bit of info.

I'd really like to see a thoughtful article by "Tom's Hardware" explaining how the, "advantage to PCIe 3.0 are to the peripherals {Chipset, add-on chipset(s), SATA, USB, etc} and to a much lesser degree the GPU" etc.

I'm no computer geek so, I'd simply like to hear more details of how all this works together to create a new, next generation platform and what we, as consumers, might be able to expect from it in PC's as well as gamer consoles like the new XBox 720.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2011 7:10:39 PM

Can you explain the current ratios of what bandwidth is allocated to what ports in a standard Z68 without extra hardware onboard?
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 6, 2011 7:41:02 PM

Every MOBO cut's-up 'shares' PCIe differently on each series of MOBOs; so there's no 'one size fits all' answer.

A good add-on Chipset example is the Marvell 912X for 'SATA3' with it's shared x1 PCIe 2.0 bandwidth. In theory x1 = 500MB/s BUT in reality expect 360MB/s~380MB/s {shared} -- and NOT the advertised SATA3 6Gb/s or 600MB/s -- the PCIe 3.0 with a new Marvell x1 PCIe 3.0 chipset would meet the SATA3 spec with room left over.

m
l
September 6, 2011 8:47:50 PM

jaquith said:
Frankly, the PCIe 3.0 Z68 out now are pretty much useless, the PCIe is limited to the GPU lanes which requires both a PCIe 3.0 GPU and CPU. So sure buy the MOBO and toss your CPU and GPU and even then the high-end PCIe 2.1 GPU's barely saturate x8 lanes of PCIe and aren't even close to touching x16 now.

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly, so, the videos I've seen promoting the Z68 Intel boards as "world's first PCI Express Gen 3 mainboard" are actually misleading because Sandy Bridge CPU is not PCIe 3 capable, right?

So, those Intel Z68 motherboards cannot truly tap into PCIe 3 until they add the Ivy Bridge CPU, which IS PCIe 3 capable but, won't be released until spring 2012.

MSI Z68A-GD80(G3) - world's first PCI Express Gen 3 mainboard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3xdE2Wb-U

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

So, to me, this seems misleading to claim "world's first PCI Express Gen 3 mainboard" when one will not be able to tap that PCIe 3 until Ivy Bridge is released.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 6, 2011 11:01:35 PM

Right, for full PCIe 3.0 support everything must be PCIe 3.0. It's an all or none, CPU + GPU + MOBO just for the GPU AND NEW Chipsets for everything else -> http://www.anandtech.com/show/4318/intel-roadmap-ivy-br...

Yes, 2012 - you'll need an Ivy Bridge CPU with PCIe 3.0 support -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Ivy_Bridge

I mean how many ways can I say this, a PCIe 3.0 with NO SUPPORT = NOTHING; you get the same PCIe 2.x speed = WEAKEST LINK!

Both ASRock and MSI are trying to, IMO, sucker you in to buy a 'Pink Elephant.'
m
l
September 8, 2011 7:12:05 PM

Got it - thanks for that, jaquith.

In order to receive true PCIe 3.0 full support everything must be PCIe 3.0, from Mobo, CPU, Chipsets and GPU. Otherwise, it's only as good as the weakest link in that chain.

Sandy Bridge is not PCIe 3. Shame on ASRock and MSI for being misleading on this issue.

The good news is that PCIe 3.0 products by AMD, such as CPU's and GPU's, are just around the corner due out in October a month away from now in Q 4.

I can only assume that AMD motherboards capable of PCIe 3.0 will come out around that time as well? I've heard no mention of it though. I assume they will be called, rather than "9xx," the PCIe 3.0 capable mobos will be "10xx" ???
m
l
September 8, 2011 7:30:24 PM

josejones said:

Sandy Bridge is not PCIe 3. Shame on ASRock and MSI for being misleading on this issue.

I like the idea that I can take what will one day be my old, used mobo, and, instead of scrapping it, maybe I can add an Ivy Bridge CPU and throw a more up-to-date PCIe 3.0 GPU (when available) or something else in a slot and make it a little more useful toy for myself or someone else.

Not that much different than putting USB 3.0 ports on boards when there aren't very many USB 3.0 devices. I could think of a ton of other analogies with devices supporting new tech that is on the horizon, but not available in your store yet, but you get the point.

I agree, the inclusion of PCIe 3 on a mobo probably shouldn't be the deal breaker or deal maker, but "misleading" it ain't. Right there on their site where they put the ads promoting PCIe 3.0, and the mobo specs, Asrock site says,

----"To run the PCI Express 3.0 slots in Gen 3 speed, please must install the Ivy Bridge CPU which supports PCI Express 3.0. If you install the Sandy Bridge CPU, the PCI Express 3.0 slots will run only at Gen2 speed."----

Seems clear enough.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 8, 2011 7:31:20 PM

Nope, the Bulldozer is not PCIe 3.0. The first, supposedly, PCIe 3.0 'clean' combo is the LGA 2011/X79/SB-E October/November 2011 and in approximately March 2012 then next PCIe 3.0 'clean' combo is LGA 1155/Ivy Bridge/Z75. No mention of AMD Consumer lines.

Besides the server AMD Opteron the next 'consumer' AMD that's PCIe 3.0 'clean' isn't until after the Bulldozer and AM3+ socket -- mabye the 'Enhanced Bulldozer'. Frankly, I'm not aware of any confirmation when the Consumer AMD will offer PCIe 3.0 -- maybe in 2012 or 2013 with FM2 Socket??!!

Cancelled -> http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/23982-amd-cance...

AMD is really a PITA to keep up with so I hate to 'guess!'
m
l
September 9, 2011 2:34:59 PM

roscolo said:
I agree, the inclusion of PCIe 3 on a mobo probably shouldn't be the deal breaker or deal maker, but "misleading" it ain't. Right there on their site where they put the ads promoting PCIe 3.0, and the mobo specs, Asrock site says,

----"To run the PCI Express 3.0 slots in Gen 3 speed, please must install the Ivy Bridge CPU which supports PCI Express 3.0. If you install the Sandy Bridge CPU, the PCI Express 3.0 slots will run only at Gen2 speed."----

Seems clear enough.

Good find on that ASRock tiny little footnote. They appear to be the only honest cats right now. There's no mention of that by MSI and What's funny is MSI just busted Gigabyte on their misleading claims of PCIe 3.0 mobos:

MSI Calls Out Gigabyte for "Not True PCIe 3.0"
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-gigabyte-pcie-gen3...

Wowzers! That's quite a slap in the face.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 9, 2011 4:05:26 PM

If true then Gigabyte committed Fraud - the knowing act of deception for financial gain.

I do appreciate the full package PCIe 3.0 offers, and I look forward to replacing soon my LGA 1366 with an LGA 2011. However, these PCIe 3.0 P67/Z68 MOBO's are 99% gimick and nearly no one will benefit from them especially with a low to mid range GPU which represents the vast majority of people.

IMO - it's ridiculous for PCIe 3.0 on ANY P67/Z68 MOBO - period - it's laughable. It's going to be a LONGTIME before ANY single GPU breaks the PCIe 2.x x16 lane barrier. Further very FEW people have CF/SLI setups and even fewer with 3-WAY plus using top of the line GPUs that just saturate PCIe 2.x and touch the very bottom PCIe 2.x x16 lane bandwidth.

Throwing out your i5-2500K or i7-2600K PLUS ALL of your PCIe 2.x GPU(s) seems WaCky cRaZy to me for a 0%~2% FPS gain GPU-to-GPU comparison. PCIe bandwidth is part of the performance equation but it's a very small one.

See these comparisons, the variance is NOT the PCIe as much as it IS the CPU. Also, here is a great PCIe scaling article -> http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_480_PCI-E...

ref - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-gaming-3-way-sl...

PCIe scaling
m
l
September 9, 2011 6:11:28 PM

I pretty much agree. The advantage I see is that when that mobo is 4, 5, 6 years old, at that time the PCIe 3.0 and Ivy Bridge compatibility might make the board a more capable some kind second hand entertainment machine, family member gift, that kind of thing, and still have the ability to run a GPU that, at that time, PCIe 3.0 might be the new standard or even the barely passable low-end. Not a fair comparison I don't guess, but kind of like trying to find a capable AGP card for an old board today. If that board somehow had the ability to take a PCIe 2.0 card and all you had to do was replace a CPU for that to happen, then that could add some value to that board after it was a few years old. That's pretty much all it means to me. And that's a small, albeit questionable, value added plus, especially now that I look at the FPS gains you posted above. Anyone expecting more than that, honestly, it's their fault for not doing even the slightest research, which you see here on the forums all day every day. People asking questions that a basic Google search could answer 10 times in less time than it takes to type the question.
I built a system around a kind of gimmicky Asus p5wdh deluxe a few years ago. It had a built in remote, on board wifi, that many people at the time said were useless gimmicks. And for the most part they were right. But I got it because it has been a great board, and now that I'm done with it for work, the little additions to that board make it a little more attractive as a more than adequate second hand entertainment machine for a family member.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 9, 2011 6:34:20 PM

I'm not knocking the idea here at all, I simply 'hope' that people are Wide-Eyed about what they are and aren't getting. There's nothing, except the Fraud, worst than people expectations being deflated or exaggerated to later being disappointed - it pisses-off people later...

Here's my valid paranoia - I plan on building a LGA 2011 as I said, added to it RAID 0 SSDs for boot/apps/etc, RAID 1 or 10 HDDs and 3-WAY or 4-WAY plus PhysX with the unlocked SB-E. I DO NOT WANT the added bandwidth burden to slow the system is any way shape or form. Meaning I don't want to find-out that some 'idiot' engineer made an oopsy and mix-matched PCIe 2 with PCIe 3 on any part: Chipset, Add-On Chipsets, PCIe to GPU, etc -- in other words 100% 'clean'.

My feeling is the LGA 2011 'this year' will be a 'smorgasbord' of PCIe 2 & PCIe 3.
m
l
September 10, 2011 5:53:14 PM

It has been a really disappointing year or two for computers. All the supposed new, next generation stuff has been delayed repeatedly. It's been nothing but a major disappointment.

August 3, 2010: PCI Express 3.0: On Motherboards By This Time Next Year?

What a joke that turned out to be. The PC industry has not delivered. The way things are going, a "CLEAN" PCIe 3.0 set-up may not be available until 1Q or maybe 2Q, of 2012. I wouldn't be surprised if there were even more delays and false advertizing too.

However, this recent episode with MSI exposing Gigabyte's fraudulent adverts for PCIe 3.0 may put a stop to that, I HOPE.

I have no interest in Bulldozer at all until it's PCIe 3.0 capable.
m
l
September 12, 2011 5:18:07 PM

I'm curious if PCIe 3.0 will have any affect on power supplies? Will PSU's need to be upgraded in any way as well in order to be PCIe 3 capable?
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 12, 2011 6:17:17 PM

No and if anything it should me more efficient. I'd be surprised if the delta wattage is >0W~4W.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2011 7:48:38 PM

We could make a thread about every disappointing tech announced over the last few years for kicks but it would be pretty long.
m
l
October 21, 2011 9:37:30 PM

Would someone from Tom's Hardware please ask AMD when we will see the new motherboards with support for PCIe 3 ???
m
l
December 8, 2011 2:19:22 PM

So here it is December 8th 2011 and STILL no AMD motherboards with PCI Express 3.0 support. I have yet to even hear anything about them at all. What the hell is going on with AMD?
m
l
January 17, 2012 11:40:21 PM

So, I sent an e-mail to AMD asking when motherboards might be coming out with PCIe 3 support and their response seemed like AMD was saying that was up to the mobo manufacturers.

Quote:
"AMD only sources the processors and chipsets for motherboard manufacturers and therefore, build no motherboards. For motherboards, we anticipate AMD Partners such as ASUS, ASRock, Biostar, Foxconn, Gigabyte, MSI to provide motherboards to support PCI Express x16 3.0 to support the AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series. For more information, please contact the motherboard manufacturer directly for more information on release dates for PCI Express x16 3.0 with embedded AMD Chipsets."

I had to respond:

"I knew AMD didn't actually manufacture their own motherboards, I was simply asking when I might be able to expect motherboards for AMD products that will have support for PCIe 3 to be made available? There are motherboards out with PCIe gen 3 support for Intel since July, 2011. I thought motherboards with PCIe 3.0 support for AMD products would've been available by now. Any thoughts on an approx. date for availability?"

AMD's 2nd response:

Quote:
"Currently, we have no updates on availability for PCI Express 3.0 support for motherboards based on the AMD Chipset for manufacturers such as ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI. We anticipate these manufacturers to release comparable motherboards in the near future to support the Radeon HD 7000 Series, which is able to accommodate PCI Express 3.0.

Since the release schedule is contingent on the motherboard manufacturers, we recommend that you contact the motherboard manufacturers directly for estimated time to market. Thank you."

So, I e-mailed MSI and MSI responded:

Quote:
"Thanks for your email. MSI follows AMD design specs, and we do not have this type of information as PCI-E lanes are allocated via the CPU and/or chipset."

Anybody else want to contact AMD and mobo makers to ask when they'll be coming out with motherboards for AMD with PCIe 3.0 support?
m
l
January 19, 2012 6:59:20 PM

Does Windows 7 and Adobe Creative Suite 5 support PCIe 3.0? I assume not but, can they support it with a new service pack or update? Or will that require new software altogether to support PCIe 3.0?
m
l
!