Power supply and wattage

Terry99

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Building a NAS / server having problems picking out the PSU, using a regular mobo and CPU (I7 950) (mobo's not sever specific) putting everything in a tower, Antec P280

These are the drives that I want to use. probably going to go with between 6 and 8 of them depending if I go with the 2 or 3TB version drives
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236343 ------WD RED

Can anyone tell me what size of PSU i should get and if I can get a regular PSU or do I have to get one that is made for a server or NAS system

I'd appreciate any help I can get thank you

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
If this is for NAS use, then plan on:

0.6A x 5V + 0.45A x 12V = 8.4 Watts per WD RED Drive (max), so for 8, rounds up to 70 watts (actual consumption numbers taken directly from WD RED Drive casing).

250 Watts (max) for your board+CPU (100% CPU load, board losses, various onboard devices and powered ports).

50-150 Watts (typical) for your GPU (not sure what you are going to use, if you use one at all, something low powered is preferable)

Total so far:

70+250+(0,150) = 320 to 470 Watts (max) for main components, minimum load probably about 50 to 100 watts.

If you want to size your PSU given today's PSU efficiency curves, I would aim for about 500 Watts, so your minimum load is about 10% to 20% of PSU's max output, and max is ~90%, so most of the time, your NAS is operating in a very efficient % zone of your PSU's max output.

Seeing as how this is a NAS, you can and likely will be able to get away with a lower wattage power supply, since the CPU is not expected to get 100% load (you can even specify this in Windows Server, or whatever you use, to explicitly NOT load the CPU to 100%, any core), and the GPU is not expecting load (if you go with a headed NAS).

FireWire2

Distinguished

For NAS you don't need i7, i5 or even i3... these are over kill and cost energy for nothing.
Atom or AMD E-350 is plenty good...
Just make sure the storage have plenty Random read/write - you are good to go.

I built 40TB NAS consumption only 180W and transfer 94MB/s in 1x GbE and over 200MB/s in bonding 2x GbE

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I have a feeling that the OP is trying to reuse/recycle some parts from an existing rig...