In UK - Burning photos to CD from Memory card

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 7, 2005 1:30:35 PM

Happy New Year to all members of this Newsgroup. Where can I find
informations about burning photos to CD from memory cards? I need to
know about the cost of burning pictures from 128 MB or 256 memory
cards. Where will be the best place - Internet cafes or Photostores? I
shall be using Memory Stick Pro used by Sony Cameras. With thanks.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:49:44 PM

Greetings! Many thanks for your reply. I want to burn the pictures
directly from memory card to a CD as I do not want to take my laptop. I
may go to UK for a month during summer of 2005. I shall be visiting big
towns like London, Bristol and Sheffield. I probably will take about
1500 pictures during that period. After a 25 MB memory card is full [It
will have 175 pixtures], I want to burn the pictures to a CD as a
backup. Can I do this in a photo chain store like Jessops or Boots? In
our local photostore in USA, cost of transferring 200 images to a CD is
ten dollars. How much will cost in UK? With thanks.

Ed Mullikin wrote:
> I'm a little confused. I do what you describe by downloading the
camera's
> photos to the computer and then burning them onto a CD. The CD costs
me
> $0.42 USD at an office supply store. That is the only expense if
that's all
> you want to do. I do use Roxio's burning program to make the disc.
>
> <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
> > Happy New Year to all members of this Newsgroup. Where can I find
> > informations about burning photos to CD from memory cards? I need
> > know about the cost of burning pictures from 128 MB or 256 memory
> > cards. Where will be the best place - Internet cafes or
Photostores? I
> > shall be using Memory Stick Pro used by Sony Cameras. With thanks.

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:18:45 PM

I'm a little confused. I do what you describe by downloading the camera's
photos to the computer and then burning them onto a CD. The CD costs me
$0.42 USD at an office supply store. That is the only expense if that's all
you want to do. I do use Roxio's burning program to make the disc.

<arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
> Happy New Year to all members of this Newsgroup. Where can I find
> informations about burning photos to CD from memory cards? I need to
> know about the cost of burning pictures from 128 MB or 256 memory
> cards. Where will be the best place - Internet cafes or Photostores? I
> shall be using Memory Stick Pro used by Sony Cameras. With thanks.

January 7, 2005 5:18:46 PM

Ed Mullikin commented courteously ...

> I'm a little confused. I do what you describe by
> downloading the camera's photos to the computer and then
> burning them onto a CD.

Maybe the OP is asking where he/she can go and pay someone
to burn a CD from their memory card files, ala paying for
creating DVD's from VHS tapes or professional scanning of
negs and slides. If so, I really don't know who might do
that but Googling would probably turn up some hits.

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:30:35 +0000, arouth wrote:

> Happy New Year to all members of this Newsgroup. Where can I find
> informations about burning photos to CD from memory cards? I need to
> know about the cost of burning pictures from 128 MB or 256 memory cards.
> Where will be the best place - Internet cafes or Photostores? I shall be
> using Memory Stick Pro used by Sony Cameras. With thanks.

I assume you do not have access to a PC (but then how did you post this
message !!) & want to transfer the images directly from memory card to a
CD. Several shops advertise this type of service. Look into any recent
issue of Digital Photography magazine.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to gmajumdar@freeuk.com
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:15:42 AM

"All Things Mopar" <usenetMAPS123@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ed Mullikin commented courteously ...
>
>> I'm a little confused. I do what you describe by
>> downloading the camera's photos to the computer and then
>> burning them onto a CD.
>
> Maybe the OP is asking where he/she can go and pay someone
> to burn a CD from their memory card files, ala paying for
> creating DVD's from VHS tapes or professional scanning of
> negs and slides. If so, I really don't know who might do
> that but Googling would probably turn up some hits.
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry

Sounds like he is posting from another country but is travelling to the UK.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:16:09 AM

"Gautam Majumdar" <gmajumdar@XSPAMfreeuk.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:30:35 +0000, arouth wrote:
>
>> Happy New Year to all members of this Newsgroup. Where can I find
>> informations about burning photos to CD from memory cards? I need to
>> know about the cost of burning pictures from 128 MB or 256 memory cards.
>> Where will be the best place - Internet cafes or Photostores? I shall be
>> using Memory Stick Pro used by Sony Cameras. With thanks.
>
> I assume you do not have access to a PC (but then how did you post this
> message !!) & want to transfer the images directly from memory card to a
> CD. Several shops advertise this type of service. Look into any recent
> issue of Digital Photography magazine.
>
> --
>
> Gautam Majumdar
>
> Please send e-mails to gmajumdar@freeuk.com
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:08:47 AM

In article <t_CDd.108780$K7.41387@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
no@email.com says...
> Sounds like he is posting from another country but is travelling to the UK.

My hotel in London had a CD-burning from memory card kiosk. I didn't
need to use it, so I don't know if it does it on-site or if you've got
to wait for it to be delivered.

I also have no idea what it cost... but it did exist!
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

I was in India with a lot of photos on my memory sticks and I was running
out of memory sticks. One of the photoshops over there put my photos on a
CD for a very nominal charge. (It must not have been much or I would have
remembered it.) I formatted my memory sticks and started over. A word of
caution: When I got back to my computer in the States the CD drove my virus
program nuts. Fortunately the virus was removed and my photos were saved.

"Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote in message
> In article <t_CDd.108780$K7.41387@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
> no@email.com says...
>> Sounds like he is posting from another country but is travelling to the
>> UK.
>
> My hotel in London had a CD-burning from memory card kiosk. I didn't
> need to use it, so I don't know if it does it on-site or if you've got
> to wait for it to be delivered.
>
> I also have no idea what it cost... but it did exist!
> --
> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:48:10 AM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:16:09 +0000, Pete D wrote:

> Sounds like he is posting from another country but is travelling to the
> UK.

Yes. I gathered that from his second post. Jessops, which has branches in
virtually every city & large town, has this facility.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to gmajumdar@freeuk.com
January 8, 2005 3:36:45 AM

<arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
> Happy New Year to all members of this Newsgroup. Where can I find
> informations about burning photos to CD from memory cards? I need to
> know about the cost of burning pictures from 128 MB or 256 memory
> cards. Where will be the best place - Internet cafes or Photostores? I
> shall be using Memory Stick Pro used by Sony Cameras. With thanks.

Jessops is a photgraphy chain store you can find them in just about every
town - there are 10 stoes in London, 5 in Birmingham and 6 in Bath
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 2:07:18 PM

arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu wrote:
> Happy New Year to all members of this Newsgroup. Where can I find
> informations about burning photos to CD from memory cards? I need to
> know about the cost of burning pictures from 128 MB or 256 memory
> cards. Where will be the best place - Internet cafes or Photostores? I
> shall be using Memory Stick Pro used by Sony Cameras. With thanks.

Check out

http://www.jessops.com/contact.cfm

Ask them for their price of what you want. They are everywhere in the
UK. I could not find the info on their web site, but I would think they
would offer the service.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:03:59 AM

"Ed Mullikin" <edmull2@cox.net> wrote in message
>I was in India with a lot of photos on my memory sticks and I was running
>out of memory sticks. One of the photoshops over there put my photos on a
>CD for a very nominal charge. (It must not have been much or I would have
>remembered it.) I formatted my memory sticks and started over. A word of
>caution: When I got back to my computer in the States the CD drove my
>virus program nuts. Fortunately the virus was removed and my photos were
>saved.

That is always so funny, when it happens to someone else. LOL
January 9, 2005 4:42:01 PM

<arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
> Happy New Year to all members of this Newsgroup. Where can I find
> informations about burning photos to CD from memory cards? I need to
> know about the cost of burning pictures from 128 MB or 256 memory
> cards. Where will be the best place - Internet cafes or Photostores? I
> shall be using Memory Stick Pro used by Sony Cameras. With thanks.

Jessops, Boots and Asda Walmart have offers that allow you have 50
prints made from CD, Memiory card etc for £5.

If you use the online service for Jessops then it costs more.

Hope that helps
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:13:26 AM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:49:44 -0800, arouth wrote:

> Greetings! Many thanks for your reply. I want to burn the pictures
> directly from memory card to a CD as I do not want to take my laptop. I
> may go to UK for a month during summer of 2005. I shall be visiting big
> towns like London, Bristol and Sheffield. I probably will take about 1500
> pictures during that period. After a 25 MB memory card is full [It will
> have 175 pixtures], I want to burn the pictures to a CD as a backup. Can I
> do this in a photo chain store like Jessops or Boots? In our local
> photostore in USA, cost of transferring 200 images to a CD is ten dollars.
> How much will cost in UK? With thanks.

<http://www.jessops.com/info/dp/index.cfm?page=digitalpr...;
says Jessops charge 1.99GBP to transfer upto 100 images from memory to CD.
Boots have Kodak's 'Picture Maker' booths in most of their stores and I
believe burning to CD is an option. Boots aren't known for being
particularly good value for money, but they do have many more stores than
Jessops, and distributed more widely (i.e. not just in central city
locations).

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> Happy New Year to all members of this Newsgroup. Where can I find
> informations about burning photos to CD from memory cards? I need to
> know about the cost of burning pictures from 128 MB or 256 memory
> cards. Where will be the best place - Internet cafes or Photostores? I
> shall be using Memory Stick Pro used by Sony Cameras. With thanks.

Apacer sells a freestanding CDR burner (no PC needed) for around £200. This
may be a good bet if you're going into the wilds of outer London, the south
west or scotland. You can keep adding files to the CDR until the 700mb disc
is full and you'll have an external CD burner to use with your PC at home.
!