Hmmm... got a problem with my new build..

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I have built my first computer yesterday (it worked 3rd time thanks to Tom's Hardware :D ) and it was working fine. But after about an hour of it running the screen just went black. It sounded the same, the fans were still running. But nothing on the screen. If i turned it off and on it would turn straight back on working. I'm thinking its the graphics card but cant be sure.

Specs:
ASUS M4A87TD
AMD PhII X4 965 3.4GHz
430W Thermaltake PSU (I was thinking it might have been lack of power?)
4GB OCZ Ram (should be 1333MHz dont think it is though, help with setting it up in BIOS would be good too)
Amaze Raedon HD5770
Using a HDMI connection to a 32" TV (it said it was 1080i on the TV, i had my resoultion at 1368x780 (i think))

These problems have now stopped, I dont know if its because I switched to VGA or if its a coincidence. But even if i switch to VGA from HDMI when the screen goes black I still have to restart it.

Its not overheating either from what I can see, I've got a good case the (NZXT Gamma, I love it) its good awesome ventilation, 1 big fan, plus the Power Supply fan, Heat sink, and the fan on the Graphics card itself.

So if I could have some help with this that would be great,
Thanks Heaps,
Caius

From XFX's specs page on the 5770:
450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended.

If this is the PSU, it only has a single 12V rail with only 18 amps. Thats horrible for a modern machine that uses 12V for almost everything. My bet would be insufficient power causing the graphics card to cut out.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-Purepower-430W-NP-Power-Supply-Review/332/9

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/thermaltake-psu-roundup_18.html#sect0
OUCH! Get it out of your computer before it damages something.

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
okay, well I'm looking at getting a new 680 or 550W. But what can I do with my one ive got now? its Thermaltake. Will they take it back or will i have to eBay it or keep as spare. Need all the money or credit as i can get :/
Thanks
Caius

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
will it be bad for me to overclock my 965BE now? will that use more Wattage? and whats a safe way to go. I'm only asking you cmc because you have a 955 so i thought u might have an idea? i had it at 3.8GHz but i turned it back down cuz i thought that it was what was turning it off.

Generic power supplies can be anything from OK to fire hazards. It really depends on who manufactures them. I stick with quality brands so I know I am not going to have flakey lockups and such from fluctuating power or worse, destroy my other parts from bad overload protection. (Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, XfX, Silverstone, some OCZ, or anything I read a couple good professional reviews on).

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Ok well i got my new PSU today.. It is a Ritmo 680. (680W)
I used my motherboards auto-overclock utility.. wouldnt post. (it went to 4.1GHz)
I overclocked it to 3.9GHz logged in graphics kept cutting out every 3 minutes for 2 seconds.

so now im back to defaults.
seems to be fine.
so reccommended solution to overclock?
is it my graphics (5770) stopping it or is there just not enough power?

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
stock. im cheap.
btw, youtube still crashes my computer. well the graphics cut out and dont come back on until a restart. what is it if not PSU? it seems to be when i hit the close tab button :/ i watched a one minute anime video that someone linked me and as soon as i hit close the screen went black.

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
24ludg9.jpg

was using the computer so i used programs instead of bios..
hope its enough..
thankyou so much for your help.

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
VID - 1.3500v
Tj. Max - 90*C
CPU #0 - 48*C (low, 47*C - high, 39*C)
3411.34MHz (200.67 x 17.00)

all from Core Temp 64bit

is that all you need.
(btw i fixed my grpahics problem by underclocking the gpu)
still need help with safe overclock.

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
it has fixed the stability problem yes. so now what i want is how to overclock my cpu (i mean if you know how to fix my gpu without underclocking great, but dont worry otherwise)
thanks

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Well in your case with a stock cooler I would simply change the multiplier from 17x to 18x and call it a day and enjoy my 3.6GHz CPU.

When you get an aftermarket HSF then you can really look at overclocking.

If the computer begins crashing, go back to 17x as it lacks the voltage to operate at 18x.