ATI 4870 or 5670?

Hello,

Planning a new build and looking for advice on which of the following GPU I should include:

1) ASUS ATI 4870 1GB
2) Saphire ATI 5670 512MB

Both cards are priced about the same.

New build: Asus P7P55D-E, i5-750, and 4GB RAM. Used for medium gaming and internet browsing.

Regards,
UE
9 answers Last reply
More about 4870 5670
  1. The 4870 smashes the 5670... Probably about 60-80% faster... It just doesn't have DirectX 11, which doesn't matter for a few years anyway.

    Although, if you don't need the extra performance, the 5670 does have some nice features (eyefinity, DX11), uses (a lot) less power (which means (a lot) less heat), and it should be cheaper (what do you mean "priced about the same"? $65 is a lot less than $100...)
  2. jryan388 said:
    The 4870 smashes the 5670... Probably about 60-80% faster... It just doesn't have DirectX 11, which doesn't matter for a few years anyway.

    Although, if you don't need the extra performance, the 5670 does have some nice features (eyefinity, DX11), uses (a lot) less power (which means (a lot) less heat), and it should be cheaper (what do you mean "priced about the same"? $65 is a lot less than $100...)



    Thanks!

    With this combo , the 4870 is below $100.

    How does ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB compare with SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100273L Radeon HD 4850 1GB ?
  3. well if the price difference is so little get the 4870
  4. uelazar said:
    Thanks!

    With this combo , the 4870 is below $100.

    How does ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB compare with SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100273L Radeon HD 4850 1GB ?


    Although the Sapphire is overclocked its still only a 4850, The 4870 still beats it by a reasonable amount, Plus its Asus which I believe is better quality
  5. decode said:
    Although the Sapphire is overclocked its still only a 4850, The 4870 still beats it by a reasonable amount, Plus its Asus which I believe is better quality



    did you see the price difference when he gets the 4870 for 100 with the combo
    the 4850 is 88 bucks after MIR

    12 bucks difference between the two might as well get the 4870
  6. If you want the card for light gaming only hd 5670 will be good and even it will be good for big games too and going with the latest is good rather going with the old one.
  7. rocky41 said:
    If you want the card for light gaming only hd 5670 will be good and even it will be good for big games too and going with the latest is good rather going with the old one.


    I am concerned about the noise and heat the 4890 is likely to produce, but its performance is a plus.

    For the 5670, my only concern - can it drive a 23" @ 1920x1080?
  8. uelazar said:
    I am concerned about the noise and heat the 4890 is likely to produce, but its performance is a plus.

    For the 5670, my only concern - can it drive a 23" @ 1920x1080?


    not modern games no it will not do it to satisfactory frame rate
  9. I haven't heard any issues about 4890 noise/heat, maybe there are but atleast I haven't heard about them, I'd say go for the 4870 for sure.

    I've just checked newegg and the 4890 is $90? more, plus its out of stock. Go for the 4870.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Asus ATI New Build Graphics Product