Ati or nvidia

nghaktea_jester

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
can any one tell me which card produce beter image quality,ati or nvidia????i was so confused which one to buy out of the two.please help???

Helltech

Distinguished
What do you mean image quality? For like photoshop? I would have say Nvidia.

But if you just good quality for like movies and such it really doesn't matter.

For gaming we would have to know about about your computer to decide what card is best for you.

What exactly do you want the card for?

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

by most comparison there is no much difference on the image quality. but if you play game, nvidia show less bug since game industry doesn't use ATI card.

nghaktea_jester

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
oh..i'm so new & lost..excuse...i mean like playing game.see nvidia support physx but ati doesn't.is there much difference in the image quality in game details?like let's say eye-candy...

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

No, Physx, I believe atleast is an outgoing technology. These days ATi make better Graphics cards than nVidia and there usually cheaper too.

If you could tell me what games you intend to play, at what resolution, and what specifications your system has I should be able to help you more.

nghaktea_jester

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
My Specs: AMD X2 4800+,Asus M2N-E,Ram-Kingston 2x1gb 667Mhz,Seagate 500gb+2x160gb,LCD-Viewsonic 19" Vx1680wm 1680x1050 @60,Cooler Mater Extreme 500Watt PSU.Display Card: Asus 9400Gt(need to upgrade...lol)

I like to play the upcoming Crysis 2.

And also please suggest...GTX 460 1 GB or GTX 465 1 GB or 5830????
Thanks.

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

GTX 460 1GB.

Helltech

Distinguished

Out of those three the best card is the GTX 460 1GB by far.

You are probably due for a CPU upgrade, however. Which unfortuanetly means your due for a motherboard and RAM upgrade.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

Your X2 4800+ would bottleneck the GTX460 even when OC'ed, and the mobo is old and doesn't support AM3 CPU's so wasting money on a new AM2/AM2+ CPU is not an solution. Start saving money for a new build.

It really depends on your budget as to if you should go with ATI or NVIDIA, but if you're looking at GTX 460 1 GB or GTX 465 1 GB or 5830, then you need to go with the GTX 460. It's faster than the 5830 and can be faster than the 465 especially if you overclock it, not to mention it uses less power and generates less heat.

You can upgrade to a Phenom II. It's too bad your board doesn't support 125W CPUs though, but looking at the CPU support list you can drop in a Phenom IIX4 945 C3 with a BIOS update. Do note though that it means a downgrade of the ASUS Crashfree technology (whatever that is) and dropping the LAN PXE ROM from the BIOS. Make sure to look at what CPUs your board supports and the BIOS notes that go with it.

http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=NFlvt10av3F7ayQ9

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

Inline with what these guys said, your due for a CPU/Motherboard/Ram upgrade.

however, In the meantime get a GTX 460 768mb stock or OC'd, preferably by ASUS, EVGA or MSi.

For the cpu/mobo/ram upgrade I recommend a i5 750/Not sure exactly what Mobo, there always changing although recommend atleast 2x PCI-e 8x slots(when SLi'ed or Crossfired)/4GB DDR3-1333 or greater.

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
which is better? mercedes or BMW, because the answer to that question is just as interesting to the answer to this one!!

both parties speculate, because both companies have different things to offer? answers from forums like these are completely biased, and only true answers will derive if you go out and experience both parties yourself!

both are great companies, yet I emphasise again, my opinion is not biased or speculated: i would choose nvidia, ONLY because its the company I've been with, and used... but yet again... my opinion is one sided and biased...

try both companies and see for yourself, only then can you see which one is best suited for you and your uses for the card!

just my thought

Dane

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
we can clearly see that you're an Ati Fan, speaking of speed.... what about the other parts? looks? comfort? the last time i took a ride in an SLK, it felt like i needed vertibre implants!!

spped isn't necessarily the only thing you should be worried about ( 3Dmark vantage scores and what not)..

what about physx, 3D vision? the irony is killing me here, but hopefully you're getting what i'm trying to say!!

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Bottom line of the 'discussion' above....it all depends on what you read and how you read it. Everyone will have their own two cents, and they'll all be justified too! People will be fond of nVidia for its PhysX, CUDA, 3D, etc. The opposition would say it's costlier, not worth that much, etc

Same with Ati! ATI will offer you eyefinity, lesser price (its true!), better variety in price ranges, etc.

So it all depends on what you feel, after reading others' opinions....because, that's where you make an informed decision. :)

Having said that, I'd say nVidia GTX460. But then again, you would probably need to upgrade your CPU/ RAM. However, if you're gaming on lower resolutions, it shouldn't be a problem. The plus side: you can still keep the card if you're not looking at an upgrade to the CPU....coz later on, when you do upgrade, you'll already have a good card to match the better CPU.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

be aware that: 1.beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, 2. fanboy's would suggest otherwise, 3. image quality is not equivalent to eyecandy, but yes nvidia/physx does add eyecandy.

Necromas

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
How to buy a graphics card, short version.

Neither brand is better. They both make good cards at various price ranges so depending on how much you can spend and what sales there are it could easily be either brand that has the most powerful card you can afford.

Check your motherboard, if it has an ATI chipset lean slightly towards ATI cards and if it has an Nvidia chipset lean slightly towards Nvidia cards. Note though you will want to uninstall and disable the drivers for the integrated video card if it's a different maker than your dedicated video card although you could potentially get both working it's not worth whatever problems might come up.

More importantly though, if the motherboard supports crossfire but not SLI, lean heavily towards ATI cards, and if it supports SLI but not crossfire, lean heavily towards Nvidia cards.

Other than that just browse newegg and whatever other sources you plan to buy from for video cards within your price range, pick out two or three that look like the best, and google up some performance comparisons and reviews to find out which is the most powerful.

Generally it's much more economical to buy a single card than two cards unless you have a really high budget, because you can save a lot of money when you make your next upgrade by making that upgrade a second copy of your single card to use SLI or crossfire, and not have to get rid of the single card. Also note that having more than 2 cards in a crossfire/SLI setup is not really a good idea yet because many current games and applications will not be able to take advantage of the setup properly.

Also check the power consumption of your card, you may need to upgrade your power supply too to support the more powerful ones, especially if you want to do an SLI or Crossfire setup.

If your price range is around $200-$230, a GTX 460 will be your best bet.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/videocard_image_quality_shootout?page=0,0

Our first subject, a female art director, immediately pointed to monitor A, which happened to be the CrossFire rig (we randomly reversed the test setup between subjects) and said, “That one looks sharper. Monitor B looks a little fuzzy, and I think monitor A has better color quality.” Moving on to the HD DVD test, this same subject pointed to monitor B, the SLI rig, and said “The video on monitor B seems more saturated, but the color in monitor A looks more accurate.” This same subject voted for CrossFire in the portrait test, making a clean sweep for AMD.

AMD has always had sharper image quality and better colors.