Frustrating motherboard/RAM problem.

melonpaste

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I wanted to upgrade my build so I got myself a crosshair IV formula, a TX950 watt, and a second 5870. I setup everything, good to go, and when I switch on my pc it turns on it powers up but there is abolutely no signal going to the monitor. I have tried switching ram positions, switching monitors, used a single ram stick, switched PSU's, etc. The only hint I got was something that had to do with the RAM as a LED named DRAM kept blinking while the CPU LED was fully lit which I assume means ok.

Si I claim my crosshair to be defective, switch over to my old gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3 and the same damn thing happens :fou:

I probably broke something while upgrading, didn't I?

ghorax

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

Try booting with one 5870 card only. Its seems to me something is wrong in that department

melonpaste

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Tried that also. I would also like to note that for some odd reason when the 790 is installed and it performs this weird boot up, I can't shut down the computer. I remember bringing it over to the repair store for the exact same problem and the guy told me that my RAM wasn't in the right positioning (I have already moved them previously to attempt to solve the problem but did not tell him just for the sake of time). So this might have to do with my RAM. These puppies: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225

melonpaste

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

I thought it would be something wrong with my motherboard but now both are busted when my 790 was fine that morning. I'm starting to think that something might be wrong with RAM.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Yet when you go through the various RAM testing scenarios it still doesn't work. Also the RAM should have worked in the board you swapped out originally (which I now observe you did) if nothing else.

This is a weird one all right. The question I now have is will the machine boot when it is completely restored to its original configuration? Put the original PSU with the original board etc. It sounds like we have two problems working in tandem here. It is rare but it happens. Either that or the CPU is damaged as this seems to be the only component that is common to both configurations. It is very rare for a CPU to be the issue but in this case it will require elimination from the problem.

melonpaste

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

I didn't note this because I didn't believe that it was an issue but now it appears to be. My kid sister was curious and lightly, and I say very lightly, touched the pins on my CPU while I was working on switching mobos. I told her right away to stop. I checked the pins, they seemed to be ok so I shrugged it off. Maybe she did in fact break my CPU?