Asus M2N-MX SE Plus compatable graphic card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

wart99

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hello all,

SYSTEM:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)

ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0503 03/26/2008
2.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+
4096 Megabytes DDR2 Corsair

PCI-Express
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT ( 20 months) Direct X 9.0c, + latest drivers installed
DELL ST2410 ( 7 months)

Psu: 450W
1 GB HD, 1-CD-Rom,

PROBLEMS:

Normal use ( and games as well) set to 1920 x 1080, 32 bit
Problem began last week with a variety of bigger games starting to lock up after a short run. Screen went scrambled, graphic card software + card not seen in Device manager, etc. Keeps booting into hard to read lower resolution screens, etc.
All ran fine since February ( Dell 24 inch).

Checked all connections, tried restore, + new card driver but same variety of issues
occurred.
I had to remove & re install the card to get back to normal, several times.

I used EVGA Precision to increase Nvida fan to 40% (fan run at higher speed starts to rattle the card). Today the fan speed reading is 30 % with cpu temp at 64
System works fine at normal use, (even terragen rendering at 2x normal screen) & all point & click games but eventuall fails on action games athough it was working fine a week ago.

To do: Test on another monitor to confirm if Vram on card is fried.

2-Questions:

1-any suggestions how to fix current card if possible. ?

2-I have looked at several new cards & favour as an upgrade on the M2N MX SE Plus . Anyone out there have any experience with that card on the M2N MX SE Plus board ?

If, by some miracle I can get the Nvida card fixed or replaced I plan to use the ,,, card on a Gigabyte board.

Thanks , in advance, for tips.

SE=second edition or LE=limited edition.
usually this kind mobo has been cutted/reduce it's feature to make it cheaper than it should.
But that usually happened in the past, most of recently board doesn't have that SE or LE thing anymore...

wart99

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
thanks for tip re SE & LE, yes that is my board. Moving the board to another PCI_E is a problem as i am out in the boonies and there aren't many fast PC's around. the dam thing work at lower loads but goes to scramble screen on faster games.

Status
Not open for further replies.