Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus M2N-MX SE Plus compatable graphic card upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2010 2:07:25 PM

Hello all,

SYSTEM:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)

ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0503 03/26/2008
2.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+
4096 Megabytes DDR2 Corsair

PCI-Express
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT ( 20 months) Direct X 9.0c, + latest drivers installed
DELL ST2410 ( 7 months)

Psu: 450W
1 GB HD, 1-CD-Rom,

PROBLEMS:

Normal use ( and games as well) set to 1920 x 1080, 32 bit
Problem began last week with a variety of bigger games starting to lock up after a short run. Screen went scrambled, graphic card software + card not seen in Device manager, etc. Keeps booting into hard to read lower resolution screens, etc.
All ran fine since February ( Dell 24 inch).

Checked all connections, tried restore, + new card driver but same variety of issues
occurred.
I had to remove & re install the card to get back to normal, several times.

I used EVGA Precision to increase Nvida fan to 40% (fan run at higher speed starts to rattle the card). Today the fan speed reading is 30 % with cpu temp at 64
System works fine at normal use, (even terragen rendering at 2x normal screen) & all point & click games but eventuall fails on action games athough it was working fine a week ago.

To do: Test on another monitor to confirm if Vram on card is fried.

2-Questions:

1-any suggestions how to fix current card if possible. ?

2-I have looked at several new cards & favour as an upgrade on the M2N MX SE Plus . Anyone out there have any experience with that card on the M2N MX SE Plus board ?

If, by some miracle I can get the Nvida card fixed or replaced I plan to use the ,,, card on a Gigabyte board.

Thanks , in advance, for tips.
a c 189 U Graphics card
August 24, 2010 2:21:36 PM

to make sure whether your card is fine or not, try it in different PC, if the problems are still exist then your card is going bad/broken...

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=loNjR1kiB2uHkijb
That's your board, right?

Just a little advice, next time do not buy something with "SE" or "LE" on it. :) 
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 24, 2010 3:09:25 PM

I don't see a problem buying SE or LE motherboards,wa1. Can you clarify more ?
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
August 24, 2010 3:44:30 PM

SE=second edition or LE=limited edition.
usually this kind mobo has been cutted/reduce it's feature to make it cheaper than it should.
But that usually happened in the past, most of recently board doesn't have that SE or LE thing anymore...
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 24, 2010 4:40:56 PM

I know they have less features than the original boards, but they are significantly cheaper and are good for normal use IMO.
a c 189 U Graphics card
August 24, 2010 6:44:34 PM

^
I guess you're right...
Cause i think there's no board that have SE/LE things anymore recently... :) 
August 24, 2010 10:09:11 PM

thanks for tip re SE & LE, yes that is my board. Moving the board to another PCI_E is a problem as i am out in the boonies and there aren't many fast PC's around. the dam thing work at lower loads but goes to scramble screen on faster games.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 27, 2012 7:53:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!