Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't dual boot after installing W7 retail with W7 RC

Last response: in Windows 7
December 28, 2009 2:47:57 PM

I was running Vista on one partition, and Windows 7 RC on a second partition. Was able to dual boot with no problems.

I just installed Windows 7 Retail Upgrade on the partition where Vista was located, after reformatting that partition. I can run the new installation fine, but I can't boot into the RC version. I can access the partition using explorer, just can't find a way to boot it.

I'd like to get in there to pull some configuration information from programs, to enter when I reinstall the programs on the new system.

I'm not sure what I messed up here, but is there a way to find a fix to the problem?
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 7:24:19 PM

By reformatting the Vista partition, you also got rid of the boot files for W7 RC which were on that partition.
What you should have done was to use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard to save your files and settings and then do a clean install.
Now it's too late and the only way I can think of, that may get your W7 RC working again, you are not going to like.
What you can try is to format your Windows 7 Retail instalation, use your W7 RC disk to boot Windows 7, run setup and choose repair startup.
Once you have the W7 RC running, use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard to save your files and settings.
Next, reinstall again. Is it worth all the trouble? probably not, how much time is it going to take to setup things the way you want.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 7:44:25 PM

Have a look at EasyBCD. You may be able to solve your problem with that.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 8:05:14 PM

Could be worth a try, I didn't think of it to be truthfull, it's a bit early in the day here.
Give EasyBCD a go , nothing to loose and it won't harm anything.
m
l
December 29, 2009 9:28:14 AM

Thanks. I'll take a look at EasyBCD. If that doesn't work, I think I'll just not worry about it. All I really need is some license keys, I think, and I probably have those stored somewhere. Next time I'll know better.
m
l
December 29, 2009 9:43:57 AM

EasyBCD worked great. Took all of 3 minutes to fix the problem. Thanks!
m
l
December 29, 2009 5:39:56 PM

Pre Win7, I used Vista Boot Pro, simple app to use to fix, check and backup boot config.

Found it also worked for Win 7, so just anotehr tool you may like to take note of.

More feature packed softwares aare like partition magic etc...
m
l
!