Graphic Card upgrade with PCI-E x 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyal-P

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hi

After reading a lot of posts I didn't got a satisfying answer so I publish my Question.
I have Intel DP35DP board (P35 Express Chipset) with core 2 quad processor (Q6600) ,4 GB of memory and GeForce 8600 GT on PCI-E x16 connector.
I wanted to upgrade the graphic card but I don't know which card will work without bottleneck because off the PCI-e connector.
Anyone has any idea which card will work without crippling it because of the bus limit?

Thanks,
Eyal

Solution
With Thermaltake 400W you'll better upgrade it first, it's still consider low for today's standard. You can't use GTX460 on that PSU.

Don't worry about PCIE slot, you can use even HD5970 without worrying about bottlenecking. The main concern now is your PSU...

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

go get a low noise GTX 460 1G, like Gigabyte 4601G OC. You wont regret it. you may need upgrade your power supply if there is no 2 6pins there.

Eyal-P

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hi WA1

thanks for the replay.
My PSU is not bad, ThermalTake 400w model: 350ar-ptz.
The monitor is standard 20" LCD.
I am comfortable with almost everything (for now :) )only the graphic card bothers me.
I assume that a lot of people are in my situation, which is haveing reasonable hardware and need to upgrade their graphic card instead of replacing their machine.
the only problem is estimating how the PCI-E 1 effect the system.

I wanted to buy HD 5830 since it price become attractive.

Eyal

Eyal-P

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

Hi yanje03

I thought about the GTX 460 1GB, I'm not sure that the 5830 gives more for the $ but I think that they are almost the same and the price of the 5830 is a little better ( the 768MB have problems because of the small buffer).
Its all won't change if the PCI-E will bottleneck the system.

WA1 I forgot to say that the mother board in the link is my board

With Thermaltake 400W you'll better upgrade it first, it's still consider low for today's standard. You can't use GTX460 on that PSU.

Don't worry about PCIE slot, you can use even HD5970 without worrying about bottlenecking. The main concern now is your PSU...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.