My hard drive isnt appearing on my computer? verbatim

mdlucero

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hello,
Hi i just moved from Australia to America, i had an iMac back home and i have a 1TB hard drive that i took all my movies, Photos and music and videos anyways ive just plugged it into my fiance old Toshiba and its not being recognized.. my iphone gets recognized but not the hard drive.. Im not too scared right now because im about to build a nice NEW powerful PC (my first) so i feel i can use that as back up.. but my fiance wants me to save all her photos and videos on her computer, any thoughts on what i could do? Thanks all:)

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I'm guessing it's an external HDD since Verbatim doesn't make actually HDDs. I had one that I got for free for points from my ISP a while back and boy, did it suck. The SATA to USB chip in the enclosure was iffy, having connection problems all the time which eventually caused S.M.A.R.T. errors on my HDD (it's a Samsung 250GB).
I'd advise you to take the HDD out of the enclosure and plug it directly into the PC via SATA cable, or in your fiancée's laptop if it's got a 2nd HDD bay.

mdlucero

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Yes, it is an external..
Dang! I bought it at a good price so i thought i got a bargain.... :(
It worked perfectly fine on my imac, and i never had trouble ALTHOUGH ive experienced before when moving apple to PC and vis versa it will ask to format the disc... Do you think that could be a problem?

will taking it out of it enclosure be difficult? SATA cable? Hmm ill look on google what they look like perhaps i have one laying around.

Thank you for your help Soda:)