Status
Not open for further replies.

arkons_71

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Buying ASAP and looking to spend around $200 -$250.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, dual-monitor display.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: BFGTech 8600 GTS, 600W Coolmax

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Phenom Black X2, 4GB DDR3, Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, Amazon.com or anywhere else as long as its cheap.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Love BFGTech's Warranty support (had my old card replaced twice) but I haven't seen that they make any mid-end cards anymore.

OVERCLOCKING: Don't care.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Looking to upgrade my graphics card for Starcraft 2. I want to be able to run on at least high settings, if not ultra, at a high enough frame rate to be able to play multi-player competitively. I've been using this article: http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/ - to look at different cards. I was basically sold on a GeForce 460 GTX, but I saw some reviews that mentioned it played older games poorly.

Specifically, I was looking at this card.

EVGA 01G-P3-1373-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Thanks all.

Solution
In case you don't know BFG just went out of business.
The 1gb GTX 460 is indeed what you want at in that price range. The card you are looking at is a good choice but make sure to get the combo with the free game;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.456540
If you are going to be overclocking you also might want to consider a card with better cooling instead like the MSI Cyclone or ASUS DirectCU.
Also have you tried unlocking the other two cores on your processor?
In case you don't know BFG just went out of business.
The 1gb GTX 460 is indeed what you want at in that price range. The card you are looking at is a good choice but make sure to get the combo with the free game;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.456540
If you are going to be overclocking you also might want to consider a card with better cooling instead like the MSI Cyclone or ASUS DirectCU.
Also have you tried unlocking the other two cores on your processor?

Solution

arkons_71

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

Thanks. I originally intended to try to unlock the two cores but I've been lazy and haven't looked up how to.
Is that $200 - $250 range pretty much the sweet spot for bang for your buck or am I better off going lower/higher? Anything else you'd recommend? I think I may go with the Cyclone since its only like $10 more for OC'd

Also, do you think the 1GB model is worth the extra $40 or is the 768MB model the way to go?

Yeah, the 1gb card is worth it. I would only go for the DirectCU myself as it is $10 cheaper. Both have great cooling and the factory OC is insignificant. It's very easy to OC a video card on your own and you will get much, much better results. These cards can OC 30-35% which is huge so the 7% factory OC on the Cyclone is insignificant really. Both are a good choice though and I think the Cyclone has the combo for the free game as well.
BTW it is also very easy to unlock the cores. It is just a setting in the BIOS of the motherboard. It isn't guaranteed to work but the odds are good(70-80%)

Status
Not open for further replies.