Sign in with
Your question

Looking to update DDR2 > DDR3 Ram On Gigabyte Board

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2011 9:17:39 AM

Hi guys!
New to Toms Hardware so please be nice :) 

I have a GA-MA790X-UD3P, AMD 790X Gigabyte Board with 6gb DDR2 RAM - I am wanting to get DDR3 Ram as that is kinda the norm these days.

Am i going to have to get a new board? the specs on the Gigabyte site say its supports DDR2 but doesn't mention DDR3 - If i do have to get a new mobo, would anyone be able to suggest a successor to my current board (Manufacturer isn't important, just that its a better mobo than the one i'm currently using)

Also, if i have to go down the new mobo route, my CPU is AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 Model 9850 BE (AM2+). I want to keep costs down so i would need a board that can still run this partly dated CPU, i am aware that AM3 can support AM2+ chips but am unsure as the best cheapest alternative.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Dreaddy,
a c 125 V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 9:27:21 AM

Going from DDR2 to DDR3 is not a good enough reason to upgrade a MB. When you are ready to upgrade the CPU also, then come back and I'm sure people will help you select a MB.
September 1, 2011 9:38:12 AM

abekl said:
Going from DDR2 to DDR3 is not a good enough reason to upgrade a MB. When you are ready to upgrade the CPU also, then come back and I'm sure people will help you select a MB.

I was asking if an upgrade was necessary or if anyone knew that this particular mobo will support DDR3 even though it doesn't state on the Gigabyte product page weather it does or doesn't.

And if you need a "good enough" reason to prompt peoples responses, not just after advice (which im sure this forums is for) then this is a pretty crappy forum tbh...
Related resources
September 1, 2011 10:12:08 AM

Dreaddy said:
I was asking if an upgrade was necessary or if anyone knew that this particular mobo will support DDR3 even though it doesn't state on the Gigabyte product page weather it does or doesn't.

And if you need a "good enough" reason to prompt peoples responses, not just after advice (which im sure this forums is for) then this is a pretty crappy forum tbh...

Well, the motherboard probably won't support both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM. Some motherboards do, but only a few. So I guess you should contact Gigabyte tech support and ask them.
September 1, 2011 10:14:41 AM

julius 85 said:
Well, the motherboard probably won't support both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM. Some motherboards do, but only a few. So I guess you should contact Gigabyte tech support and ask them.

Thanks, I have posted on the Gigabyte forum as i was making my post here, am still waiting for a response from Gigabyte!

a c 234 V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 1:06:01 PM

Dreaddy said:

The specs are: 4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory. To use DDR3, you need a new motherboard. abekl is correct, i.e., unless you also upgrade the CPU, the performance difference will be minimal (3% or less).
!