Solved Closed

Recovery media to SSD ok?

I understand performing a fresh Windows installation is recommended over cloning your Windows installation from HDD to SSD, but what about performing a manufacturer's system restore from CD/DVD to the SSD (considering the restore media was created with restoration to a HDD in mind)?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about recovery media
  1. As long as the system restore doesn't look for a larger HDD, then using an SSD should be fine. Assuming it fits, you likely will need to remove some bloatware afterward.
  2. Best answer
    It should work without any problem.
    Make sure that you disconnect any other hard disks before you do the installation.
    Also, go into your bios and change the SATA/IDE mode to use ACHI as this is the newest and best mode to use for SSD drives.
  3. Getting 250+ MBps read and write sequential speeds so now I know I have a SATA II controller for sure.
  4. hmmm... the defrag schedule in Windows 7 was still enabled upon restoration. This indicates that the recovery/restoration process essentially cloned the recovery image to the SSD which is not recommended, correct? Since a Windows 7 installation would of detected the SSD and disabled the defrag schedule, does this mean my new Windows 7 installation is not truly optimized for SSD? If so, how to fix it at this point (besides buying a new Win 7 disc and performing a fresh install)?
  5. you can and should turn that off.
    Did you go into the bios like I stated earlier and switch to using AHCI which will enable TRIM support? That's the most important one to do for optimization.
  6. Why not CLONE and see if it works?

Also, I attempted to CLONE using Acronis True Image but it kept failing. Instead, I made a BACKUP to a USB hard drive, then swapped to the SSD and did a RESTORE to it.

You could also attempt something similar:
    1. add a USB hard drive (or second internal hard drive)
    2. make a Windows 7 Image (or use Acronis TI free, if you have WD/Seagate drive attached)
    3. Swap HDD to SSD
    4. RESTORE the backup to the SSD
    *alternatively you can leave the Windows hard drive installed, add the SSD as a secondary drive then RESTORE the backup to the SSD, then shut down the PC and remove the hard drive (should then boot from the SSD).

Summary:
    - try to CLONE first (Easeus, or other free software)
    - backup/restore method (requires another drive for the backup)
  7. SATA mode was already set as ACHI in BIOS and the defrag schedule in Windows 7 is now disabled.

I'll try that clone method next time I'm upgrading a computer to SSD.

Thanks everyone.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Data Recovery Hard Drives Storage