Sign in with
Your question

Recovery media to SSD ok?

Last response: in Storage
January 16, 2013 11:26:30 PM

I understand performing a fresh Windows installation is recommended over cloning your Windows installation from HDD to SSD, but what about performing a manufacturer's system restore from CD/DVD to the SSD (considering the restore media was created with restoration to a HDD in mind)?

More about : recovery media ssd

a c 95 G Storage
January 16, 2013 11:41:02 PM

As long as the system restore doesn't look for a larger HDD, then using an SSD should be fine. Assuming it fits, you likely will need to remove some bloatware afterward.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 16, 2013 11:43:06 PM

It should work without any problem.
Make sure that you disconnect any other hard disks before you do the installation.
Also, go into your bios and change the SATA/IDE mode to use ACHI as this is the newest and best mode to use for SSD drives.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2013 1:17:17 AM

Getting 250+ MBps read and write sequential speeds so now I know I have a SATA II controller for sure.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 17, 2013 2:43:14 AM

:) 
m
l
January 17, 2013 2:44:13 AM

hmmm... the defrag schedule in Windows 7 was still enabled upon restoration. This indicates that the recovery/restoration process essentially cloned the recovery image to the SSD which is not recommended, correct? Since a Windows 7 installation would of detected the SSD and disabled the defrag schedule, does this mean my new Windows 7 installation is not truly optimized for SSD? If so, how to fix it at this point (besides buying a new Win 7 disc and performing a fresh install)?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 17, 2013 3:26:27 AM

you can and should turn that off.
Did you go into the bios like I stated earlier and switch to using AHCI which will enable TRIM support? That's the most important one to do for optimization.
m
l
a c 93 G Storage
January 17, 2013 3:53:04 AM

Why not CLONE and see if it works?

Also, I attempted to CLONE using Acronis True Image but it kept failing. Instead, I made a BACKUP to a USB hard drive, then swapped to the SSD and did a RESTORE to it.

You could also attempt something similar:
1. add a USB hard drive (or second internal hard drive)
2. make a Windows 7 Image (or use Acronis TI free, if you have WD/Seagate drive attached)
3. Swap HDD to SSD
4. RESTORE the backup to the SSD
*alternatively you can leave the Windows hard drive installed, add the SSD as a secondary drive then RESTORE the backup to the SSD, then shut down the PC and remove the hard drive (should then boot from the SSD).

Summary:
- try to CLONE first (Easeus, or other free software)
- backup/restore method (requires another drive for the backup)
m
l
January 17, 2013 5:41:46 AM

SATA mode was already set as ACHI in BIOS and the defrag schedule in Windows 7 is now disabled.

I'll try that clone method next time I'm upgrading a computer to SSD.

Thanks everyone.
m
l
!