....available for UT2004:

http://www.planetunreal.com/cbp/

Andrew

On Fri, 21 May 2004 07:39:41 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

>...available for UT2004:
>
>http://www.planetunreal.com/cbp/

I have just been playing through the maps, and they are simply
stunning, not only great technically, but very playable. The effect in
DM-Reconstruct is worth the download on its own.

# Andrew

> I have just been playing through the maps, and they are simply
> stunning, not only great technically, but very playable. The effect in
> DM-Reconstruct is worth the download on its own.

"The effect"?

--
Toby
asktoby.com

Andrew

On 21 May 2004 08:24:11 GMT, Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>> I have just been playing through the maps, and they are simply
>> stunning, not only great technically, but very playable. The effect in
>> DM-Reconstruct is worth the download on its own.
>
>"The effect"?

a) I don't want to spoil it for people
b) I would find it hard to put into words what it is, and certainly
wouldn't do justice to how cool it is!

# Andrew

> a) I don't want to spoil it for people
> b) I would find it hard to put into words what it is, and certainly
> wouldn't do justice to how cool it is!

Okay, cool, do you suggest I turn all my settings up beforehand, or will it
still look good on low-quality textures, low quality physics etc etc?

--
Toby
asktoby.com

Andrew

On 21 May 2004 08:47:57 GMT, Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>Okay, cool, do you suggest I turn all my settings up beforehand, or will it
>still look good on low-quality textures, low quality physics etc etc?

*shrug*, I run everything maxxed :)

I would advise just playing the level solo without bots bothering you
just so you can appreciate it, so you could turn the eye candy up
while you do that.

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:
>>http://www.planetunreal.com/cbp/

This is CBP 2, what/where is CBP 1?

Thanks!

--
William Smith

raptor

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 May 2004 07:39:41 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

The effect in
> DM-Reconstruct is worth the download on its own.

Yeah, that is pretty amazing isn't it :) Thanks for the heads up. These
maps are really beautiful and great not only for playing in but for just
roaming around exploring (with the music on).

I really don't want to be negative about free add-ons for my favorite
game but I'm not too impressed with what I've seen of this community
map pack so far. Set up an instant-action game to take me thru the 4
ONS maps against some rookie bots. First map... don't remember names
yet, the sandy level. I guess some folks will think the glare is a
neat effect, IMO its just annoying to the point I'll unlikely play
this level with any regularity. The floor, the sand, seemed to be
rather polygonal-bumpy as my Scorpion was bouncing all over the place
while it visually appeared to be a smooth dune. Overall I felt the
map was an unfinished product, lotsa detail in some places while
barren in others (and don't attempt to sell me a "its a desert"
rationale, that feels like a design feature to hide the fact). I very
much like the Goliath emphasis but thats not enuf to save this level
from mediocrity.

Second ONS level, still don't know the name (but probably in
alphabetical order). Wish I could comment on this one but the game
GPF'd after about 2 minutes of play. So that makes a grand total of 3
GPFs in all my 2K4 gaming experience. Dozens if not hundreds of hours
playing the core maps and only 2 crashes. 15 minutes into the
community pack and it bombs out. I seriously doubt this was a mere
coincidence - something in the map design did something it wasn't
supposed to do with the engine, I'd put $1 on it :)

I hope other folks are enjoying this product more than I, and perhaps
the other 2 ONS maps are much better than what I've seen so far. Just
don't feel like playing right now after being dumped on my keister!
But if my suspicions are correct it looks like I'll be back to
Severance and ArticStronghold in no time.

-s-

raptor

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004

"This is CBP 2, what/where is CBP 1?"

The CBP 1 series was released for UT2k3. I haven't seen them yet for
UT2004. They were very good by the way.

that freaked me out the first time i saw it! amazing.

spag

he he - I'm not alone then. First off, I give tremendous credit to the guys
n gals who made these maps, something which I will foremost admit I am
totally incapable of doing. My clanmates and I have begun discussing the
pros and cons of the new maps. My thoughts here are my own, not reflective
of my clan:

I was not overly impressed with the total package. There's not a "bad" map
in the group, I think I was just hoping for something more - which the last
3 DM maps did. Angel Cordone's Reconstruct - well, she nailed it again, as
she does with most of her work. I also really enjoyed Summit and
TelmecoMex. Re the ONS maps, I enjoyed Tropica as an enviromental change of
pace. I didn't run the CTF maps because I seldom play CTF. I was somewhat
surprised that some of the DM maps were very direct / similar adaptations of
previously released ut04 player maps. One of my clan mates suggested that
maybe my expectations were too high, and indeed, he may be correct.
Ultimately, I really have enjoyed ut03/ut04 and have the utmost respect for
game developers, mappers, skinners, and the associated creative folks who
make this game so much fun. I keep seeing the performance bar being raised
each time, so my hopes tend to rise with it. I wish I had the skills to map
some of the crazy concepts that occasionally pop into my noggin.

Feldrew Co30
www.co30.com

Steven L Cox wrote:
> I really don't want to be negative about free add-ons for my favorite
> game but I'm not too impressed with what I've seen of this community
> map pack so far. Set up an instant-action game to take me thru the 4
> ONS maps against some rookie bots. First map... don't remember names
> yet, the sandy level. I guess some folks will think the glare is a
> neat effect, IMO its just annoying to the point I'll unlikely play
> this level with any regularity. The floor, the sand, seemed to be
> rather polygonal-bumpy as my Scorpion was bouncing all over the place
> while it visually appeared to be a smooth dune. Overall I felt the
> map was an unfinished product, lotsa detail in some places while
> barren in others (and don't attempt to sell me a "its a desert"
> rationale, that feels like a design feature to hide the fact). I very
> much like the Goliath emphasis but thats not enuf to save this level
> from mediocrity.
>
> Second ONS level, still don't know the name (but probably in
> alphabetical order). Wish I could comment on this one but the game
> GPF'd after about 2 minutes of play. So that makes a grand total of 3
> GPFs in all my 2K4 gaming experience. Dozens if not hundreds of hours
> playing the core maps and only 2 crashes. 15 minutes into the
> community pack and it bombs out. I seriously doubt this was a mere
> coincidence - something in the map design did something it wasn't
> supposed to do with the engine, I'd put $1 on it :)
>
> I hope other folks are enjoying this product more than I, and perhaps
> the other 2 ONS maps are much better than what I've seen so far. Just
> don't feel like playing right now after being dumped on my keister!
> But if my suspicions are correct it looks like I'll be back to
> Severance and ArticStronghold in no time.
>
> -s-

Andrew

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:01:36 -0400, Steven L Cox
<stevencox56@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I really don't want to be negative about free add-ons for my favorite
>game but I'm not too impressed with what I've seen of this community
>map pack so far.

I don't think the ONS maps are the strong point of the map pack, I am
a lot more impressed by the DM maps which mostly play as good as they
look IMO.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:04:27 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:01:36 -0400, Steven L Cox
><stevencox56@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I really don't want to be negative about free add-ons for my favorite
>>game but I'm not too impressed with what I've seen of this community
>>map pack so far.
>
>I don't think the ONS maps are the strong point of the map pack, I am
>a lot more impressed by the DM maps which mostly play as good as they
>look IMO.

After getting the nerve up to venture back into my review mindset I
played thru all the ONS maps multiple times with both bots and humans,
I'm happy to say that my overall impression is somewhat improved.
Still a little rough on map names so bear with me.

The first map I played, Argento, is still the weakest of the 4 ONS
choices in my opinion. The level design is uninspired and the glare
effect is simply inexcusable. I know its part of the design concept,
but so is putting 1 live round in the chamber when playing russian
roulette - neither make their respective games too appealing. This
map is so irksome I'm pulling it off the hard drive. 2 out of 10.

The next two maps in alphabetical order, Mirage and Tropica as I
recall, are solid designs. I doubt either will pull me away from
Severance, Torlan, or ArticStronghold but they are refreshing changes
of pace. 6 and 7 out of 10.

Finally, I'm having a very fun time with ONS-Valarna! This is a
top-notch level design where all the elements come together that turn
a group of good designs into a great map. Aesthetically its a
beautiful map and the Nali inspiration makes we want to go reinstall
Unreal1 for another play. Node layout is interesting, all vehicles
feel like they have a strong presence on the board (raptors rule tho),
and every type of gamer will find something to do and their roles much
appreciated. I'll play it safe and give this map *only* a 9 out of
10, knowing that with more play it might easily shift up a point.

As for other game types... I took a look at DM-Reconstruct (cool
design element!) and CTF-Deep (visually excellent!) but haven't
explored much past that. Anyone want to recommend the standpoint
levels that I should be giving a chance?

-s-

Andrew

On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:23:51 -0400, Steven L Cox
<stevencox56@hotmail.com> wrote:

>As for other game types... I took a look at DM-Reconstruct (cool
>design element!) and CTF-Deep (visually excellent!) but haven't
>explored much past that. Anyone want to recommend the standpoint
>levels that I should be giving a chance?

Pretty much all of them, I prefer most of them to the official maps.