SD card formatting issues

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 7, 2005 10:02:29 PM

There's been various discussion about SD card formatting problems, including
a thread in this group a year ago, but I haven't seen any definitive
information. Can anyone give a pointer to this? Google finds only lots of
personal experiences and "this should happen".

My own experience is that I put a new SD card in a Panasonic FZ3 and took
some test shots without remembering to format the card first. The card
worked fine in the camera and in Jessop's card slot but would not read in a
card reader on my PC running Win XP. In fact the PC did eventually find
folders and files but could not do anything useful with them. I formatted
the card as FAT32 in the PC (knowing no better at the time) and it then
worked fine in the PC. But then the Panasonic FZ3 did not recognise the
card at all and would not even re-format it. However another camera
re-formatted it without problems and it would then work in the FZ3 and also
in my card reader.

So, given that the card was formatted wrongly for the camera, why should
this stop it being re-formatted correctly? This seems to be a fairly common
problem with SD cards but does not usually happen with disk drives etc. It
seems to me that SD is rather fussy. I don't remember having this problem
with CF.

--
Tony W
My e-mail address has no hyphen

More about : card formatting issues

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 10:02:30 PM

Tony wrote:
> There's been various discussion about SD card formatting problems, including
> a thread in this group a year ago, but I haven't seen any definitive
> information. Can anyone give a pointer to this? Google finds only lots of
> personal experiences and "this should happen".
>
> My own experience is that I put a new SD card in a Panasonic FZ3 and took
> some test shots without remembering to format the card first. The card
> worked fine in the camera and in Jessop's card slot but would not read in a
> card reader on my PC running Win XP. In fact the PC did eventually find
> folders and files but could not do anything useful with them. I formatted
> the card as FAT32 in the PC (knowing no better at the time) and it then
> worked fine in the PC. But then the Panasonic FZ3 did not recognise the
> card at all and would not even re-format it. However another camera
> re-formatted it without problems and it would then work in the FZ3 and also
> in my card reader.
>
> So, given that the card was formatted wrongly for the camera, why should
> this stop it being re-formatted correctly? This seems to be a fairly common
> problem with SD cards but does not usually happen with disk drives etc. It
> seems to me that SD is rather fussy. I don't remember having this problem
> with CF.

I have had trouble with new SD cards and getting them to read in a card
reader. However, this problem seemed to disappear after a few
insertions. I suspect there may be a preservative coating on the card
which a not quite tight enough slot isn't penetrating the first few
times. Try slotting troublesome cards in and out a few times.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
January 8, 2005 1:35:49 PM

> I have had trouble with new SD cards and getting them to read in a card
> reader. However, this problem seemed to disappear after a few insertions.
> I suspect there may be a preservative coating on the card which a not
> quite tight enough slot isn't penetrating the first few times. Try
> slotting troublesome cards in and out a few times.

I don't think that was the trouble in this case. The card worked perfectly
in the camera and a card slot in another PC. Also it worked as soon as I
re-formatted it with my PC. Then in the FZ3 it worked as soon as it had
been re-formatted in another camera. The symptoms clearly point to a
software "feature".

--
Tony W
My e-mail address has no hyphen
- but please don't use it, reply to the group.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:35:50 PM

Tony wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>

>>I have had trouble with new SD cards and getting them to read in a card
>>reader. However, this problem seemed to disappear after a few insertions.
>>I suspect there may be a preservative coating on the card which a not
>>quite tight enough slot isn't penetrating the first few times. Try
>>slotting troublesome cards in and out a few times.
>

> I don't think that was the trouble in this case. The card worked perfectly
> in the camera and a card slot in another PC. Also it worked as soon as I
> re-formatted it with my PC. Then in the FZ3 it worked as soon as it had
> been re-formatted in another camera. The symptoms clearly point to a
> software "feature".

It may seem that way, but I had similar problems with a new card some
time ago, and a few insertions in devices with tight slots, such as my
camera, and the card reader built into my wife's computer. Soon it
worked find on my card reader with a much less tight slot. As long as
it is now working, I guess it doesn't matter much.
!