Sign in with
Your question

SSD Help?

Last response: in Storage
January 16, 2013 11:40:46 PM

I replaced my Dell D630's old HDD with a Crucial V4 SSD. I've noticed that when browsing the web and streaming videos my computer freezes up and the hard drive activity light goes on for a few seconds then unfreezes. Also, is this read/write good for an SSD or does this mean problem?

More about : ssd

January 17, 2013 3:50:04 AM

XP isn't very SSD friendly. You might want to google XP SSD tweaks to increase your SSD performance. Also, Crucial V4 is a SATA 3 SSD, your D630 most likely only has a SATA 2 port, and that might bottleneck your SSD a little bit. Normally, a SATA 3 SSD should have 400mb/s+ read or write speed.
m
l
a c 89 G Storage
January 17, 2013 4:26:13 AM

**PRINT ME**

Not only can Windows XP have issues, but some older computers (the motherboard) can also have issues causing freezing.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely a much older computer would have an updated BIOS to fix this if it's the problem. I suspect it's simply that you're using XP though or else you'd likely get a BSOD if the BIOS is the problem.

Another option is to update XP to Windows 8 Pro (and use Start8 by Stardock for $5). They have a digital download deal for $40 until Jan 31st 2013.

I strongly recommend going with Windows 8 Pro. You WILL have to reinstall all your software though so thoroughly backup.

1. Go to the Windows 8 site and follow the links to the $40 digital download deal
2. Download the ISO image *Note must get 32-bit if XP is 32-bit which is likely
3. BURN THE IMAGE to a DVD and label it (not necessary but recommended)
4. Backup any data and write down the software you use for reinstallation
5. Boot to the DVD of Windows 8 Pro and start the installation
6. Install any missing drivers (mainly video); check "Device Manager" for missing drivers (Google anything that shows up; I had an "unknown media device" so I installed the Ricoh device drivers for the SD card reader for VISTA 32-bit then things worked fine.
7. Install missing programs, import data etc. (*Including START8 from Stardock)
8. DELETE the "old Windows" folder if it exists http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/how-remove... (it DID exist when I did this)

Cheers.
m
l
!