Asus P8P67 B3 rev 3.1 freezes/locks windows 7

polmuaddib

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello everybody,
I am not yet sure if this is a mobo or ram problem, or even psu...
here's the thing: I have ASUS P8P67 B3 rev 3.1 mobo with I5 2400 @ 3.1 Ghz and Kingston KHX.... forgot all the numbers D3/4G Hyper X 1600 MHz two moudles installed in blue slots on mobo. I use Windows 7 64bit Professional. My Power supply is 3 or 4 years old Antec 500 watts included in Antec Sonata III case. Mobo, CPU and RAM are two weeks old. My old mobo was Gigabyte and I had no issues whatever I did. Except overlclocking. Which I wasn't interested in at all.
Everything works great now, except for one thing. When i watch a video on Power DVD or Total Media Theatre 5 or Media Player Classic for a while, at least 45 minutes, when I close the player or press for a next title, windows freezes. Mouse, keyboard and screen. Nothing is responding. I have to press reset button on a case. Sometimes it freezes after playing some music in Foobar for some time. I tried some 3Dmark tests, and some games and everything works fine. If i play video in some other player ( KMD Player, Splayer) i have no issues. I even tried running some monitoring software on my primary display and playing video on secondary just to find some iregular voltages or temperatures, and nothing.
I tried several BIOS settings, and even updated to the latest version. I tried without any OCing, and with a TPU switch enabled. It seems that with TPU switch that maybe the freezes don't happen that often, but then again, maybe i am avoiding trigerring them. But they still happen.
i want to try everything before I call the shop and give them my mobo, cpu and ram for testing.
Could this be a software issue? I installed the usual codecs: Avisynth, FFdshow, haali. Then I tried Klite full pack. Nothing special.
The rest of my equipment is: ATI 3850 HD PCIe, Creative X-Fi Fatality Pro PCIe, DVDRW sata , BDRW sata, 3x sata HDDs WD (500gb, 1TB, 2.5TB all of them WD Caviar Green)
Help me, Tom's hardware Kenobi, You are my only hope.
Thanks,
V

polmuaddib

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I didn't notice. I never put my computer to sleep. btw, I turned my power saving settings to high performance, because it seemed like that was the problem. I turned all functions that disables something after some time to off. Everything is turned on always. Last thing i did was disabling c1, c3 and c6 in bios, because I read somewhere that was the problem. I didn't have time to check that. As I said, the only way to trigger freezing is that I play video for sometime and then close the mentioned players.
Thanks