VCore significant increase and decrease

enjoykokakola

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Happy New Years!

After months of just reviewing on this forum, I finally had the courage to build my very own computer 2 weeks ago. Everything went smoothly and its running great thanks to everyone here. Although I had some problems at first, I figured my way around from the posts already written here.

There is this one problem? that has been bothering me. I keep my eyes on the PC Probe application and the VCore fluctuates significantly. I have looked at the other posts concerning VCore and most of the problems written here are about .1 fluctuations. My VCore changes from .94 at idle to about 1.36 at application loads. Is this normal? because I have seen people asking about fluctuations concerning .1 changes but my VCore changes .4! There are no problems with the computer except that the VCore is giving me a little paranoia.

Here are my computer specs.
No Overclocking done.

motherboard : asus m4a87td/usb3
cpu: amd phenom II 965 BE
ram: ocz tech 1333 2x2gb
windows 7 home premium 64 bit
gpu: geforce gtx 460 1gb
power supply: ocz modular 650w

I dont know if this helps but I had some problems with the ram when i tried to install additional ram (2x2gb same ram modules) with bsods and reboots but that problems solved since i took out the additional modules. Another problem that I have is that when I touch the front panel of the computer case, where the usb/power/ headphone jacks are located, with the front of a usb cord (metal touching metal) my computer reboots. Its not problem as long i try not to plug anything to the front usb when the computer is on.

Solution
Hi enjoykokakola and welcome to Tom's forum.

1- That fluctuates voltage are because you have Cool'n'Quite and C1E enable in your BIOS. That's not a problem or issue, is just a feature to save power and produce less heat when your CPU is on idle.

2- Test the RAM with memtest86+, could be a RAM problem.

3- Verify all the connections on your case, the reboot when you plug an USB only says me one thing: Short.

njure

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

Sounds like it would be prudent to fix the Vcore to a specific voltage. This should be fairly easy to do through BIOS. Whatever voltage setting is fair I cannot say though I am not familiar with the AMD-brand. Someone else may infer.

Hi enjoykokakola and welcome to Tom's forum.

1- That fluctuates voltage are because you have Cool'n'Quite and C1E enable in your BIOS. That's not a problem or issue, is just a feature to save power and produce less heat when your CPU is on idle.

2- Test the RAM with memtest86+, could be a RAM problem.

3- Verify all the connections on your case, the reboot when you plug an USB only says me one thing: Short.

Solution

enjoykokakola

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Thank you for your response!

Thats good to know! I figured it was ok with the fluctuations but .4 seemed a bit high and I was seriously getting paranoid.
I tested the ram modules one by one with memtest and I ran all the memory sticks with no errors. Its just that when I use all 4 (4x2gb) of the sticks that my computer bsod. The problem's been solved because I took out the 2 sticks and i'm using only 2x2gb modules in dual channel memory. I ran memtest with no errors. I'll need to check all the connections again because I tried plugging in a headphone through the audiojack in the front and again, my computer restarted. It restarted as soon as the tip of the jack from the headphone barely touched stereojack in the front panel of my case.

Anyways thanks for the information!