Sign in with
Your question

Computer slow overnight, nothing seems to solve

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 2:53:31 PM

Well, very weird problem here, disturbing and frustrating too.

Somewhere around December 20, 2010 I started the computer as normal, the night before that morning it just worked perfectly, but suddenly while I try to use it, I noticed it became a lot slower.
It's January 5, 2011 now, and I have been trying stuff almost non-stop, I have scanned for viruses, malware, defragmentated my hard drive, all in normal as well as in safe mode. I even reinstalled Windows XP multiple times, nothing helps.

I can do some things without being interrupted by 'lag', most of the time, I even tried gaming which works OK at random moments.
I am thinking it is a hardware problem, I even took out my videocard and ran the comp just on my old onboard videocard but that didn't solve it.
I even cleaned the whole computer, took out all the dust etc. nothing seems to work.

I am beginning to think it's a damaged CPU or something, while I'm a pretty advanced user and spent alot of time on the computer, this is unsolvable on my own.

It worked perfectly for years...

My computer specs:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 260
Intel Core 2 Duo 4400 2.00ghz
Windows XP Professional (with SP 3)
Zalman ZM600-HP

The computer is just a Packard Bell Imedia J9250 with a custom power supply, videocard, sound card and added RAM if I remember right (it all worked fine before)

Thanks in advance.
January 4, 2011 4:09:07 PM

Iolo system mechanic 10

Go torrent it or buy it, or use the 30 day trial
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 8:32:42 PM

sluggish system and lag could be a failing hard drive....
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 8:32:48 PM

UnKoWnMaN15 said:
Iolo system mechanic 10

Go torrent it or buy it, or use the 30 day trial

Got it, tried the program and all the tools, but it didn´t solve my problem :( 
Thanks for your effort though, anyone else with an idea?
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 8:34:03 PM

I dont suppose you have checked the system temperatures ?? long term use causes build of dust inside your PC - reducing the cooling ability, and in severe instances causes the CPU to throttle
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 8:34:56 PM

ulysses35 said:
sluggish system and lag could be a failing hard drive....

Is there any way to be sure that it is indeed my Hard drive failing? Just wanna make sure before I buy a new one :p 
Thanks so far
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 8:39:01 PM

ulysses35 said:
I dont suppose you have checked the system temperatures ?? long term use causes build of dust inside your PC - reducing the cooling ability, and in severe instances causes the CPU to throttle

Actually I did check the temps, as I said I even cleaned the comp pretty good, anyways here are some temps just with IE open:

Core 1: 39 C
Core 2: 42 C

GPU temperature: 37
GPU temperature (ambient): 31
GPU temperature (GPU): 37
GPU temperature (Card): 31

I used PC Wizard 2010.
a c 148 à CPUs
January 4, 2011 11:01:27 PM

There is spyware going around that currently nothing can find. We only noticed it here at work because it tries to contact external sites blocked by the hardware firewall which then loads an IE page to inform you of the block. Its weird when your sitting there on the phone and your browser opens up. LOL. Anyways nothing was able to find the culprit, not even Hijack This! None of the other pc's in the office had the infection and a format and restore from a backup resolved the issue.

When you reinstalled did you reformat too?
a c 148 à CPUs
January 4, 2011 11:19:54 PM

As for 'How to test the hard drive' - enable S.M.A.R.T. in the bios if you can and then use the manufacturers utility to read it in a day or so. You can run windows built in error checking, Seatools for Windows (from Seagate.com) will test any brand HDD, Bart's test cd, etc. There are plenty of free Hard drive diagnostic utilities; download.com is a decent source.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2011 4:35:39 PM

popatim said:
As for 'How to test the hard drive' - enable S.M.A.R.T. in the bios if you can and then use the manufacturers utility to read it in a day or so. You can run windows built in error checking, Seatools for Windows (from Seagate.com) will test any brand HDD, Bart's test cd, etc. There are plenty of free Hard drive diagnostic utilities; download.com is a decent source.

I did all the Seagate tests except the 2 longer ones but it didn't find any problems, I also used combofix and that didn't solve my problem either.
As for the reformat: Does deleting the old partitions and putting new ones just before you start installing Windows count in the blue screen I mean?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2011 5:42:18 PM

Also, it seems to go slower the longer it's on, when I start it up, it's pretty decently fast (still under the normal level though) but it gets slower and slower until I have to restart to get some decent performance again
January 5, 2011 8:13:02 PM

Same problem here - but mine was fixed.
I have a core 2 duo 6750, gf 8800 ultra and 4 gb ddr2 (2x2gb). One of the memory modules was malfunctioning and i sent the computer back to the seller. They changed my 2x2 gb with other new ones, but also the power supply unit. Now i dont know exactly why the computer was slow(because of the memory or the psu) but try to run a few tests with memtest or something.
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 12:05:32 AM

Maybe memory faulty memory? And hard drives have retirement ages also, hard drives are very cheap right now and they are very fast, but before that try changing the memory, take out a stick at a time and see if you have any extra ram laying around that can work for your motherboard. And when you are scanning for viruses, trojans, spywares...etc, make sure to use either Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or A-Squared. They are considered the best :) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 6:54:41 AM

Guys I might have found something, I randomly searched and found a guy on some forum who seems like he had the same problem, it was caused by his SM-buscontroller having no drivers (or software, whatever it is for the SM-buscontroller).

It's got a yellow question mark and exclamation mark infront of it in the hardware management.

Now the next problem is that I can't really find the software, I did some searching but I can't find anything useful, does anyone know which one exactly I need to download and where I can download it?

Thanks alot for all the effort and help so far.
!