DDR3/Motherboard compatibility

huafist

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello everyone,
I'm at my wit's end here today haha. I've built computer since the mid 90's, so whatever I'm doing wrong is either something mind-numbingly simple, or some "gotcha" that I am currently unaware of.
Here's the story. I have 3 motherboards sitting here in my office. 2 AMD AM3 boards (Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H, ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3), and 1 Intel board (SuperMicro X9SCL-F). Processors are an AMD Phenom II Black (X4 955), and an Intel Core i3. I have 5 different memory configurations here: 12GB (4GBx3) Crucial DDR3 1333, 8GB (4GBx2) Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333, 2GB (2GBx1) Samsung DDR3 1333, 4GB (2GBx2) Team Elite DDR3 1066, and 3GB (1GBx3) Hynnix DDR3 1333.
The problem? I can only seem to get one compatible configuration out of all of the above. When I try ANY of the memory configurations above in either of the AMD setups, I get nothing. The fans spin, but the system never POSTS. If I try it in the SuperMicro Intel system, the Ballistix causes a "no memory found" beep code. The 12GB, 4GB, and 2GB kits do the same thing they do in the AMD setups. The 3GB (1GBx3) actually works in the Intel setup.
I have confirmed the memory is not at fault, as I took the known working memory from a Dell Vostro 230 (1GB x 1) and tried it. Same result. I have installed it in every configuration I can think of, installed it as a single stick, cleared the BIOS with the jumper, put in external video cards, etc.
I am at a complete loss, and I simply cannot believe that two motherboards, two processors, and 4 memory kits are faulty.

huafist

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I forgot to add that I pulled the corsair XMS3 memory out of one of my servers (it's on the "compatible memory" list in the ASUS manual) and tried it - same result.

huafist

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Yesterday, I took the memory that I could not get to work in those systems and put it in my asterisk box. The system booted with no issues on all of the above memory configurations. What's the deal here?