Graphics card fan being blocked.

CodyMcInnes

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I was building my system with my new motherboard (Intel DG43GT) after I had gotten everything in and booted it up and began re-installing windows my monitor had shut off. At first I didnt think anything of it because during the installation it had said the computer may restart afew times so I looked down at the tower and it was still running, all the fans were spinning (including GPU) the disc was still going so I wondered what was wrong I put my hand to the side of the case and it was warm and I thought that was odd so I opened up the case and the GPU fan must have been at 100% because it was very loud and very hot. so I shut the pc off. The GPU isnt dead but Im afraid to use it at the moment, currently Im using the on-board graphics (Intel x4500) which sucks. I know what is the problem but do not know how to fix it. my Network card blocks the fan, it only has maybe 1CM distance between the 2. Please any solution would be greatly appreciated.

System (as of now)
Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
4gb's Dual Channel Ram 667mhz
Nvidia 9800GT
320gb HD
Intel DG43GT
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121352
Motherboard:
http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/skuimages/large/I69-2194-Main-JH.jpg

Solution
Go open box and if you have a spare 80mm fan on hand place it near to the rear of the card or beside the card to force cool air into the small space. Having any thing that close to the fan isn't a good idea and will only hinder intake while creating current of hot air. The intake zone if you will forms an area of low pressure which causes higher rpm and noise (not radically). The exhaust phase of the cooling cycle it is opposite and you end up with a pocket of hot air from the cooler that finds it's way into the area of low pressure so that it recirculates heating up the card. So you need is another fan near the card to distort those zones and rid of that pocket of hot air. I assume that your rig is an matx setup so it will run some...

Helltech

Distinguished
You're network card blocking the fan shouldn't be the problem, If you can run sli with two GPUs smack dab on to of each other the netowrk card isn't going to cause to many problems.

What power supply do you have?

What case do you have? Do you have good cable management and airflow?

I almost want to say its safe to try and reinstall windows, looks like it might have just locked up on you.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Does your case have a place to mount a fan on the side of it (blows cool air into the CPU/GPU area?

Does your case have both front (pulls cool air in the front) and rear fans (pushes hot air out the back) installed and working? If you have front fans, is there anything obstructing them?

Since your mobo has a built-in nethwork adapter, why do you have another one plugged into the motherboard?

Go open box and if you have a spare 80mm fan on hand place it near to the rear of the card or beside the card to force cool air into the small space. Having any thing that close to the fan isn't a good idea and will only hinder intake while creating current of hot air. The intake zone if you will forms an area of low pressure which causes higher rpm and noise (not radically). The exhaust phase of the cooling cycle it is opposite and you end up with a pocket of hot air from the cooler that finds it's way into the area of low pressure so that it recirculates heating up the card. So you need is another fan near the card to distort those zones and rid of that pocket of hot air. I assume that your rig is an matx setup so it will run some what hot no matter what unless you are able to add more fans to your case. You can make a mounting bracket for the fan that will sit in the floor but you need the skills as well tools. That is the best thing with out having to spend money. If you have the cash flow you can get a card that has a different cooler design such as a gts250/4870 that vents the air outside the case and has the fan at the rear of the card vs the middle. I have similar coolers and this has always been a problem with the orb type coolers.

Solution

CodyMcInnes

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Helltech: I have a Corsair 750W PSU and the Cooler Master Centurion 5 case.

I do have a 80mm fan but what good is that? I do have a vent on the side that is made for GPU's but no way to properly mount it in that vent. Also I dont think Im able to place it on the back this is a Micro-ATX board so the 9800GT and the Network card are close and I dont think a 80mm will fit in the back between the 2 of them.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK, now I understand why you aren't using the on-board network adapter. Wireless cards like the one you have generate a fair amount of heat themselves and is likely contributing to your problem. We need to figure out a way to direct some air into that particular area.