Is Corsair's CMPSU 850HX REALLY 100% modular?

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hello folks!

I am getting a new PSU, and I can't tell if the Corsair CMPSU 850hx is 100% modular. I know it is sold as a modular PSU, but I read in a review that they PCI-e cables aren't modular. I called Corsair, they said that the PCI-e cables are modular. I then saw another report that the PCI-e cables aren't modular! :fou: I will order it if they are modular, but I really can not tell from the photo, but it kind of looks like they aren't.

I then started looking at this Silverstone ST-1000P PSU and it does appear to be 100% modular. I know that Silverstone may not be as good as the Corsair, but it is still a good brand from my understanding. Is that correct? I appreciate it!

Thanks

The 850HX is not 100% modular, the 4+4 CPU connector, 24 pin main connector, and 2 6+2 PCI-e connectors are hardwired. Scroll down to the bottom of the jonnyguru review
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=153

The ST-1000P appears to be 100% modular, i havent seen a review for that unit but i also didnt check long, i would definitely look for a good review before buying it.

Solution

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Thanks hunter! I wish that corsair wouldn't have lied to me when I called them. I read some reviews for the Silverstone on Newegg, it seems to be good.

What I was mainly concerned with was whether or not all of the PCI-e cables were hardwired. Since it is just two, that is okay and I will stick with Corsair.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Just bought the Corsair 850HX the other day and it is not 100% modular. there are two PCI-E cables that are local to the unit, 1 CPU cable and 1 motherboard cable. The rest is all modular, including 4 more PCI-E cables, SATA, Molex, etc...

In my opinion, it is better to have it setup this way as opposed to 100% modular as there may be some issues with 100% modular, especially for PCI-E, CPU and motherboard cables.

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Well they still got my business, even though the guy that I called blatantly lied to me. I didn't ask if some of the PCI-E cables were modular, I asked if they ALL were and he told me they are. Kind of bugs me though.

After researching some more I came to the conclusion that this would be better than 100% modular because of the reasons you cited above.

Even though the Silverstone seemed nice enough, I really wanted the Corsair quality. I have an Antec EW-650 now that is fine until I decide to SLI another 570gtx, but I wanted the Corsair quality (especially in my upcoming Sandy Bridge build).

Thanks a lot!

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Should be very nice!

I too am looking at the i7 2600k, but may also go with the i5 2500k.
My mobo will be Gigabyte (I am a Gigabyte fanboi :), probably the P67A-UD4. This is in my Corsair Graphite 600t. Also Noctua NH-D14 air cooling ( I still don't trust water completely).

I can't wait! GL with yours!

Why is this an issue ? What I mean is what advantage do you *think* 100% modular provides ? Corsair's position is that modularity it is a disadvantage....a position echoed by Seasonic, Enermax and PC Power & Cooling (now OCZ)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/power-supplies-psu,8016.html

Enermax, Seasonic, and Corsair all told us that if you're looking to maximize efficiency, go for a non-modular PSU.

While there is no doubt that this statement is 100% correct, connections do cause resistance, I would doubt that it has the significance that some PSU makers would like to make out of it. Surely the added connectors add unnecessary cost. Surely there is some marginal resistance added. Surely it adds another failure point. But I be hard prressed to say that all three of these add up to a *huge* downside. However, what's the upside of 100% modularity ? What does 100% modular do for you ?

Can you build a system without connecting the CPU connector ? .... the 24 pin main connector? at least one PCI-e connector ? If there's zero chance that the cable won't be used, what advantage can modularity of these connectors provide ? So while the downsides may be exaggerated by some, there's no getting away from the fact that 100% modularity has a downside as insignificant as it may be. OTOH, since you must use these cables anyway, no upside exists. This is why "hybrid modularity has become the "gold standard" among high end PSU manufacturers.....hard wired cables for those that must be used and modular ones for the ones that "might not" be used. I'll certainly sacrifice a few % points of efficiency for the ability to eliminate clutter for unneeded cables, by why give up anything when the cable gotta be there ?

Eliminating a fine PSU as the HX-850 from consideration because it's not 100% modular seems to be w/o a logical basis. If ya thinking "Well, what about the 2nd hard wired PSIU-E connector ?", my answer would be, if you don't need at least 2 PCI-E connectors, then you a re not putting a demand on the PSU that warrants a PSU of the HX-850's quality.

Not that I am a HX series devotee. I'd buy a Antec CP-850 ($120) or XFX Black Edition 850 ($110) before I'd grab an HX-850 ($170). All 3 of them get 10.0 performance ratings on jonnyguru.com.

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Oh, I didn't discount the 850hx, it is still what I bought.

I did more research and found that indeed having the hardwired 24pin, 2 pci-e and cpu connection is beneficial. Some of my previous posts about PSU's in this subsection do indicate and emphasize my general ignorance regarding PSUs in general.

For me the issue was having the cable management the way that *I* wanted it. While the 600t is a case with great routing opportunities, I want all of the cables to be exactly where they are in my head. It is a personal thing, the case doesn't even have a window, it's just what I want. When I found out that only two of the pci-e connections were hard wired, that was great. I will need the other 2when I add another 570, but since the building is more of a hobby for me than anything else, I still wanted it a certain way regardless of justification. I really wouldn't have been happy having 2 unused PCI-e cables tucked away.

I certainly understand your point of view, and after reading about PSU's all day while working, I understand a lot more about what makes a good PSU. If I had read everything before I posted this, I might have come to the hardwired + modular design efficiency conclusion myself. I don't know if it would have made me care less if all of the pci-e connections were hardwired since I REALLY didn't want the extras tucked away.

Rome wasn't built in a day and my knowledge of PC's won't come in a day either, but that is the reason for posting right? Everyone on tom's has always helped me gain more insight, and I really appreciate it!

Good_Humour

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

Personally, I would go with SeaSonic. They are highly efficient and quiet.