LAN/Ethernet Port on MSI P67A-C43 (B3) possibly broken -- fixes?

Hi guys.

Just yesterday I completed my first ever PC build.. a very nerve-racking experience! The computer is functional however.. to the best of my knowledge it has recognized my hard drive, optical drive, RAM, and GPU. I'd installed Windows 7 64, and all the drivers that came with the motherboard and GPU, but when I tried to connect to the internet via Ethernet cable (the very same one I had just unplugged from my previous, Internet-usable desktop), I got absolutely nothing. No light from the back of the port, and Windows won't acknowledge that I have something plugged in to that spot. After some internet searching, someone mentioned something about going into the BIOS/EFI and checking to see if the LAN was enabled. So I did; it was disabled, so I enabled it and restarted the computer. Still nothing. I even got on a different computer and downloaded the latest drives to a thumb drive to install on my new computer. Still no light, no connection.

Is it possible I missed something when I was plugging things into the motherboard? Could the port itself have been shorted. I'm considering purchasing an ethernet->usb adapter or LAN adapter that I can put in a PCI slot in the interium. Any idea would be appreciated.

mobo: MSI P67A-C43
3 answers Last reply
More about ethernet port p67a possibly broken fixes
  1. Does the device in control panels show up, or does it show up with an exclamation point?
  2. You could get a PCI/PCI-E Ethernet adapter pretty close to free.
  3. I could not get an ethernet connection when I first booted. After double checking the connection I noticed that the cable had to be jammed in to get the connection light to come on. I never herd a click when inserting the cable but it is now functional.
Ask a new question

Read More

MSI-Microstar Ethernet Card Motherboards