Sign in with
Your question

Making an SSD my boot drive without losing files.

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2013 2:15:05 AM

Well, I bought a 64GB SSD to use as my boot drive. I only want it for a fast Windows boot up and possibly a few files/games. But, there is a problem I'm VERY concerned about. I understand that I can just plug in the SSD, unplug my hard drive, enable AHCI, and install Windows on the SSD. Then, replug my HDD in and change the boot order to boot from the SSD.

But, If I do that, all my games and programs wouldn't work, right? I have a 1 TB harddrive with around 500-600GBs of used space, and in that a lot of programs with licenses and keys that I do NOT want to lose. If I do what I mentioned above, will all the programs still work?

Or do only the games and stuff not work? If it's just the games, I can live with it, but NOT the programs.

Or, what would happen if I simply make a copy of my current Windows folder and move it over to the SSD?

I'm really concerned with this. I do NOT want to completely lose all my data. Like I said I have a lot of licensed software that I have gathered over the course of more than a year, and losing that would be painful.

Thanks.
January 17, 2013 2:27:42 AM

I love my SSD drive when it boots up all the time its a ocz 120 gb just for **** and giggles i reloaded win 7 on the older 500 gig hard drive I was using before the ssd and omg was so much slower heres the choice you have to pick and choose your 64 gig drive is no way big enough for the os and all the files you want to transfer for the other drive then you have to find the locations if you did do some. Example C:/ windows eagames/ medal of honor would no longer be that location. its alot of work now if you had a say 240 gig ssd you could take some with you to the new ssd and just figure out there paths enjoy your new ssd drive yes they are faster anyone correct me if I am wrong and wish you the best of luck with your new drive.
m
l
January 17, 2013 2:33:07 AM

johnnyb2013 said:
I love my SSD drive when it boots up all the time its a ocz 120 gb just for **** and giggles i reloaded win 7 on the older 500 gig hard drive I was using before the ssd and omg was so much slower heres the choice you have to pick and choose your 64 gig drive is no way big enough for the os and all the files you want to transfer for the other drive then you have to find the locations if you did do some. Example C:/ windows eagames/ medal of honor would no longer be that location. its alot of work now if you had a say 240 gig ssd you could take some with you to the new ssd and just figure out there paths enjoy your new ssd drive yes they are faster anyone correct me if I am wrong and wish you the best of luck with your new drive.

Well I know it wouldn't be in C:\games\medal of honor anymore obviously, it would probably change to D:\" "

but, I don't expect to take everything with me at all. Like I said, the SSD is just for Windows and possibly a few games. I just want to know if I keep the hard drive as a second drive, will I still be able to use the games on it even when the new SSD is the boot drive? Because I heard that some files are linked to the windows folder and it won't work correctly or something. ;/
m
l
October 4, 2013 3:46:25 PM

I have a good solution that you will like. I had this issue when I purchased my SSD and motherboard. I was planning to use an HHD and cache to an SSD but I didn't get the results I was looking for because I ordered a P8P67 motherboard not a P8Z67 duh... but I love it so..... I used a "symbolic link" and linked c:\users , c:\program files , c:\programfiles (x86) to a HHD drive. So when I install a program to c: I can install it like I would with one drive but it is actually installing to the d:\ and pulling and running files from the HHD and SSD simultaneously. All of my windows files are on the SSD and the SSD is the c: but everything you use and install is in those 3 directories (unless you change something or make a folder). Example; Install Microsoft office onto c: and the it will will be installed to d: but will be shown under c: You can use ROBOCOPY shown in the link below to do this to any exising installation as long as your other folders don't exceed your SSD. I have had this OS installed for about 2 years (which is longer than I normally go before a fresh install) and I have used 100 GB but that could be much less (running all features of windows). I actually took it a step further and added another 60 GB for more speed and to have 120 GB. So I now have (2) SSD's running the OS (120 GB) running in a RAID 0 configuration (so half the data is on 1 SSD half on the other and it can read/write to both at the same time) and (1) HHD running programs and other things (2 TB). From my computer I can access both through c:\. I always recommend another drive for movies etc. It may look tricky but if you follow the directions to the "T" you won't have a problem, I only used ROBOCOPY and SYMLINK which are built into windows but this article shows other methods too. Check out the link;

http://www.tested.com/tech/2341-how-to-move-your-apps-a...
m
l
Related resources
!