Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about Intergrated Graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2010 8:46:14 PM

Hi, I have a quick question. I recently purchased a Geforce GT 240 and I was wondering if my computer would automatically recognize it due to my already present Radeon 4200 intergrated graphics. If not, what do I have to do to install it software wise?

Thanks for your time and answers. :) 

Best solution

a c 153 U Graphics card
August 24, 2010 8:55:02 PM

Worst case scenario is it doesn't automatically recognize it, I've never acutaly had the problem in all the computers I've put together where you had to disable onboard graphics (I take that back, my first build in 2002 I did).

Anyway, just put it in, if it doesn't work, take it out go to BIOS and turn the integrated graphics acceralerted off, and or, switch it to the PCI-e slot.

There is nothing you need to do software-wise within the operating system.
August 24, 2010 9:26:40 PM

Thanks for the advice. ^^
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2010 9:26:51 PM

Best answer selected by PoignantJ.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 24, 2010 9:33:37 PM

Helltech said:
There is nothing you need to do software-wise within the operating system.

Actually installing the drivers would be a good idea :p 
Ignore the cd that comes with the card and get the latest from the Nvidia website;
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 24, 2010 9:34:17 PM

jyjjy said:
Actually installing the drivers would be a good idea :p 
Ignore the cd that comes with the card and get the latest from the Nvidia website;
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I meant for disabling the onboard drivers. XD. I thought he meant installing something like driver sweeper ya know.

Wow, yeah I stated that really horribly.

Installing the drivers for the graphics card itself is yes, something that needs to be done. Also I reccomend getting the drivers straight from Nvidia's website instead of the ones on the CD that comes with the card.
m
l
August 25, 2010 12:49:16 AM

Ya, agree with both of you there. I mean it's only logical to think how out of date they would be. CD's can't magically download the latest drivers onto their disks after all. :p 

BTW, what I mean by "install software wise" was by what would I have to manually do for the BIOS to recognize the new GPU if it didn't automatically. Which I think Helltech got correct in the first two sections of his answer.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 1:10:38 AM

Yeah, I knew what he was saying I just wanted to clarify in case you took the last bit he said literally.
m
l
August 25, 2010 1:17:38 AM

I read it as concerning GPU recognition the first time and not the drivers. Thanks for your concern, I appreciate it! :) 
m
l
!