Upgrading a HD4850

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastcarfastbike

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
for my micro atx case, i have a hd4850....i used to have a heating problem, which was solved...and i recently upgraded to a tx650 psu. anyways, the supporting cast is a core i7 920, 4gb ddr3, 20" monitor (5ms, 60hz)

so my 4850 is a 512mb card....

my questions are

1. if i were to upgrade 4850 1gb, would that help a lot? would it even fit?

2. size is a concern, i only have 1 slot to plug in a gfx card, and it can be a few inches longer, maybe thicker too, but not wider....so if not a bigger 4850 card, what cards are the same or similar sizes, that are actual decent upgrades?

my current set up runs sc2 on ultra mediocre...i run on ultra @ 20-30 fps...and get occasional frame drops.

Solution
1. No, that wouldn't even be considered as an upgrade unless you're running on larger resolutions. No point from going from a 4850 to a 4850.

2. There's a few cards that are quite small. The HD5750 is smaller and newer, but it is not substantially better than the 4850. The HD5770 might be too large for your micro ATX and is also not the best upgrade.

I think your best option is to get out of that micro ATX case and then pick up a different card. The HD4850 isn't too bad of a card even in today's terms but it's starting to show its age. But if you really want to upgrade, IMO that case is holding you back.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
1. No, that wouldn't even be considered as an upgrade unless you're running on larger resolutions. No point from going from a 4850 to a 4850.

2. There's a few cards that are quite small. The HD5750 is smaller and newer, but it is not substantially better than the 4850. The HD5770 might be too large for your micro ATX and is also not the best upgrade.

I think your best option is to get out of that micro ATX case and then pick up a different card. The HD4850 isn't too bad of a card even in today's terms but it's starting to show its age. But if you really want to upgrade, IMO that case is holding you back.

Solution

fastcarfastbike

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
yes i realize that thing about the case...but i was told the factory dell XPS motherboards will only fit dell cases or something, since its a micro atx it won't fit a normal atx, from what i understand...right?

imanoob93

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

Yea, but you can get a bigger case that will fit your micro atx mobo and full atx mobos. When looking for a Mid tower case just make sure it's micro atx compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.