Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 12:20:23 AM

Hi.

I have a dimension E310 (bought for college back in the day) with these specs:

p4 single core 2.8ghz
512 mb RAM
integrated graphics

I also have a GeForce 6150 PCI gfx card (in a diff computer so would require some tweaking) w/ 512mb

I'm looking to play Starcraft 2 on mid? settings... Can i just buy 2GB of RAM and put in the Geforce card or would I probably need a new graphics card as well? Its running on integrated gfx right now and the load times are horrible and the game is pretty choppy on single player. I feel like the RAM is the choke point though.

My other option is to just start from scratch and I've seen quite a few sub $600 gaming builds on this forum which would work without a doubt.

To sum it up: Im just trying to figure out if i can spend $50 and upgrade my current system instead of $600 on a new one and have a reasonable gaming experience

Best solution

a c 153 U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 12:23:34 AM

You have a single core processor, I'd say start from scratch. You can reuse the ODD drive, and if 80GB is enough you can reuse the HDD as well.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 12:32:19 AM

thanks for the quick response

agreed but im not a huge gamer and would basically be upgrading just for this game (i played the original for a good decade). Id rather spend 50 on upgrading it rather than $600 on a brand new system (even tho eventually i will have to do this)

Long term i definitely need to start from scratch but for now how unreasonable is it to buy RAM and (possibly) a low end graphics card for the above system? is it a waste of money even in the short term (just for this game)? or should i have a reasonable experience with those specs..
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 12:35:12 AM

I'm pretty sure no matter what you do your CPU is going to limit you, Starcraft is pretty CPU heavy as far as I know.

Anway, DDR2 isn't that cheap anymore if I recall correctly. You can put in a cheap GT240, and get up to 1.5GB of ram if you want, there is a GT240 really cheap on Newegg for 39 dollars, they are usually about 70 or so.

If you want to go that route, however I can't gaurentee it will work out well. But it will be better then what you have.

Also I just re-read your first post, you said you have PCI graphics card you planned on trying, does that mean your motherboard does NOT have a PCI-e slot? And you only have a PCI slot?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 12:40:13 AM

yeah, unfortunately I dont think that there is a PCI-e slot which i know drastically limits what i can put in. to tell you the truth i dont know if they even make PCI graphics cards anymore.

by the way, how can i +rep on this site? cant seem to find a button
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 12:44:00 AM

They don't, you would have to settle for an overpriced older card. I honestly think you should start from scratch. Starcraft II isn't the OEM computer buddy that Starcraft I was.

I can't find ANYTHING about your computer becuase Dell's support site sucks major.

Can you do two things for me. Download CPU-z and tell me what the motherboard on the computer is called, it will also tell you if you have a PCI-e or PCI slot. Next open the case and tell me how many ram slots you have, and what PSU you have (wattage and amperage on the 12v rail if possible).
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 1:01:20 AM

@helltech

motherboard: Dell 0JC474

cant find any info on pci vs pci-e in cpu-z. google told me I only have PCI-e x1 in addition to the PCI slot and I need PCI-e x16 for modern cards.

2 slots for RAM. looks like I have 256mb in each one (wow i feel old) my laptop has 4GB... but overheats within 20 min of playing the game.

I have the stock psu:

Power

DC power supply:

Wattage

230 W

Heat dissipation

785 BTU/hr

90 to 135 V and 180 to 265 V at 50/60 Hz

thanks for the help
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 2:29:18 AM

In CPU-z on the "mainboard" tab at the bottom it tells you your graphical interface. If you have a PCI-e slot though, good. You can get that GT240 for 39 dollars, and up your ram a little bit. 2 1gig, or 1 2gig stick should suffice, which ever is cheaper.

its kind of a waste of money but it will "get you by", on very very low settings.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 3:27:13 AM

thanks helltech. the more i think about it the more im convinced i should just bite the bullet and build a new one.

good advice all around.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 3:28:38 AM

Best answer selected by goman22.
m
l
!