Help regarding buying a new graphic card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
hey....
i am from india & i need to buy a good graphic card for my pc, my budget is around 4000 Indian Rupees.I am also confused for which brand to go with ATI or nVIDIA.

My pc specs are:
Intel DG-33 motherboard
Intel core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
2 GB RAM
and i have a Samsung SyncMaster 920NW 19" TFT monitor.
Please suggest me a nice graphic card, any help would be kindly appreciated!!

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
oh....can u guys tell me more about the difference between 9600GT, HD5670 & 9800GT?
and which one is the best among them?? and would it be enough to buy HD5670 512mb instead of 1 GB??

and I also wanted to ask about my currrent graphic card- i have nVIDIA 7200GS/7300SE with subvendor: XFX (i know its very low quality one) installed in my pc right now its almost 2years old with 1year of warranty left, is it of any use or not?? :p

& @namelessonez by the way i'm from chandigarh in india..hope u have heard of it!! :)

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
well rocky u see, the truth is it all depends on my dad's mood if i am able to convince him enough he would buy me what i'll ask him to & i was also thinking if my current card (mentioned above) wont be of no use to me anymore, i would sell it off it would help me in buying a new one..!! :p
so bro can u tell me if its usable for me or not??

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
wow...it must be a really cool card!!
but i want to ask something, some of my friends said that ATI is not a good brand as their service, etc. is not so satisfactory due to which they told me to go with nVIDIA so are you sure it will be okay to get an ATI card???
& yea is 512mb sufficient as they also told me to get a card with 1GB memory???

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hey ati cards are really good bro...and are really selling better than the nvidia at least now...and they provide the cheaper dx 11 cards compared to nvidia.
If you can afford the 1 gb card you can go for it other wise sticking with 512 mb is also not a loss as only few frames difference will be there around 5-8 fps that's it.

Here is an article explaining DX11;
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/directx_11_deconstructed
There is no point to 1gb of memory on cards like these. They are not powerful enough to take advantage of more than 512mb of memory and your monitor isn't a high enough resolution to need it even if they could.
The HD5670 is your best choice imo. The only card I would pick over it is if you can manage 6000RS for a GTS 250;
http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=5943
It isn't DX11 but it is a much more powerful card.

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
so the final thing is if i can manage to buy GTS250 512MB DDR-III its well & good otherwise HD5670 512MB GDDR5 would also be great, right??

& hey someone also told me about HD4850 512MB DDR-III is it more powerfull than HD 5670????
i'm asking this bcoz he said there is no much difference b/w their price

Yes the HD4850 is more powerful than the HD5670. It is pretty similar in performance to the GTS 250 I linked, perhaps slightly weaker. I wasn't seeing any cheaper than that GTS 250 so I didn't mention it.
When it comes to those two cards though you need to make sure your power supply can handle it as they both use significantly more power than the HD5670. So tell us the brand/model of your PSU and/or look on the side of it(inside the case) and tell us the total power or amperage on the +12v rail.

9600GT is 4k+ i think now in India. I think.

GTS250 is nice card, but costs something around 7k. If DX11 matters to you and you are stretching your budget till 7k, then HD 5750 is one. Isn't as fast as GTS250 though.

Since you are in Chandigarh, this may help:
http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?ukey=search

You can buy from there as well.

Just see what your final budget will be. That would decide the choice.
If its around 7k, then GTS 250 is the fastest one, you can get.
Another one is HD4850, marginally behind GTS250 and costs 6.5k.

Hope this helps.

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
hmmm......
my PSU is 450W & I think there is something like 14.0A written below the +12V, there is a whole chart like that :p

& i think i can only afford HD 5670 at most :(

so i think i'll go with it but there is a problem, whenever i searches for HD 5670 512MB DDR5 there are so many of them with the same name but with different prices & features so i'm confused a bit. for example the given below links are all for HD 5670 but even afer that they are so different & i'm not sure which one i'm supposed to buy
can you people please help me

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Rade...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282802605&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Rade...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282802605&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Rade...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282802605&sr=8-2

& yea plz also tell if my pc can run HD4850 & GTS250 or not :)

The cards you linked differ only very slightly in the kind of output ports they have. The one in the middle has 1gb of ram which really doesn't matter on these cards and you shouldn't bother with it unless it is the same price or cheaper.
As for the HD4850/GTS 250 the info you gave doesn't quite cut it. If it said 14a below the +12v and it is 450w then there must be a second rail because 14a is simply way too low for that to be the only rail. A picture of the chart or the brand/model number would help more.

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
so jyjjy does it mean that i can buy anyone of them & there wont be any problem??
but can u plz suggest which one will do for me as my monitor is 19'' samsung TFT so that in future i dont face any problem with the port connectivity?? what kind of port do i actually need for my monitor?? :p

@dipankar2007ind can u suggest some particular cards in the same price tag as that of HD5670 but with more power??

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
yea....even i'm thinking the same thing but i wanted to make sure that there are some different models available for HD5670 512mb DDR5 like i mentioned earlier, so can i buy anyone of them or do i have to check which one can play my monitor or not??? or something like that :p

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
The GTS250 is a great card. The 5670 is a good card too, but my personal preference would be the GTS250. Agreed, the 5670 will give you DirectX11, but again, in my opinion, that isn't the 'most' crucial characteristic for making a choice. I've been using a GTS250 for a while now and am very happy with it! DX11 is utilized in very few games as of date. Upcoming titles may have it, but its not certain how many will utilize it. What you also need to know is that DirectX11, when switched on, tends to lower the performance overall.

For a mid-range card, I don't feel DX11 justifies! Yes, if you're using something like an i7/ i5 processor, 6gig's RAM, a higher end GPU then you won't mind getting DX11. But for the 9800GT/ GTS250/ HD5670 range cards, I wouldn't look at DX11 as a major factor for the card.

Bottom line: don't consider DirectX11 as the main/ sole factor while deciding on which card. It's good eye candy, but your CPU would need to be good enough to compensate the performance, coz it'll surely give a drop in frames when turned on.

The GTS250 requires min 450W
The 9800GT requires min 400W
The HD5670 requires min 400W
The HD4850 requires min 450W

Imo, a PSU upgrade is recommended. They're not that expensive these days. I got my CoolerMaster 650 Extreme Power for 4K a year ago....those prices will be much lesser now.

As for buying the card, I did a whole lot of research while buying my GTS250 (though a year ago). The prices on the websites tend to be a bit higher than what you can get from the market. Chandigarh is about 4 hrs fro Delhi. If it's possible, I would suggest you check the prices in Nehru Place Delhi (got mine from there). It's a great place for hardware's! I mean, you'll find 'anything' there. You should get the GTS250 for a good price there.

Regarding your friend's opinion about ATI, for some reason nVidia finds favour in the Indian markets. Whenever I've gone to the markets, almost all the vendors seem to be inclined towards nVidia. I'm not saying for a moment also that you should drop ATI because of this! Just giving you the mindset of vendors/ suppliers. If you've done your research properly, there's no reason why ATI should not be considered. It's just a general mindset here that nVidia is better. Plus, most vendors deal in nVidia, so if you were to pick up an ATI, you may have to do a bit of running around in case of any problems with the card.....IF any problem should arise! Of course, if you're buying it online from amazon/ ebay or such other place, it's a different (easier) thing should you have a problem with the card as you can opt for the standard return policy, etc.

Itachi2269

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

so are you sure that any model of HD5670 will play my VGA monitor ??
as i also heard that it (mostly every model) doesnt have a VGA port... :(

so i am a little worried that what if i buy the card and it doesn't play my monitor.....!! i'll sure have an heartache :pt1cable:

Status
Not open for further replies.