Sign in with
Your question

SSD/Raid setup for Asus P9X79 Deluxe Mobo

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2013 8:55:59 AM

Hey

Wondering if anyone can help with this one, i setup my new PC yesterday which uses a Asus P9X79 Deluxe Motherboard which comes with 2(white with caching) 6GB SATA / 4x 3GB Sata and 2 more 6GB Sata Ports.

Basically i have 4 180GB SSD Drives which i want to setup into 2 Raid0 Setups (1 Raid0 for Windows Drive, 1 Raid0 for Games Drive).

I have the first 2x180GB SSD Worknig and in Raid plugged into the 2(white with cashing) ports, these work and i have windows installed which is great. However i cant get the bios or anything to detect the 2 other SSD drives which are plugged into the 2 remaining normal 6GB sata Ports.

Its probably something im doing stupid no doubt, just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 542 G Storage
January 17, 2013 1:59:34 PM

The drives for your O/S should be connected to ports SATA6G_1 & SATA6G_2.
See page 2-26 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports.

The drives for your 2nd RAID array should be connected to ports SATA6G_E1 & SATA6G_E2.

Make sure Marvel Storage Controller is set to Enabled and Marvel Storage OPROM is set to Enabled. See pages 3-33 and 3-35.
January 17, 2013 5:02:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, had a fiddle about with it when i got home and seems to be working now, and have them both up and running!

Cheers for the help
Related resources
February 10, 2013 12:28:57 AM

Dereck47 said:
The drives for your O/S should be connected to ports SATA6G_1 & SATA6G_2.
See page 2-26 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports.

The drives for your 2nd RAID array should be connected to ports SATA6G_E1 & SATA6G_E2.

Make sure Marvel Storage Controller is set to Enabled and Marvel Storage OPROM is set to Enabled. See pages 3-33 and 3-35.

Hey Quotemsq:
I am doing the same thing with just two 256 ssd. Do I just plug into sata6g_1 & 2 and if so will the machine
show512GB or do I have to something else
I guess what I am asking is I want to do raid 0 for boot and performance. I will back up things with external hard drive. I just want to take advantage of raid 0 performance. any help would be appreciated as this is my first build.
Thanks Greg
February 10, 2013 12:34:22 AM

Hey Quotemsq:
I am doing the same thing with just two 256 ssd. Do I just plug into sata6g_1 & 2 and if so will the machine
I guess what I am asking is I want to do raid 0 for boot and performance. I will back up things with external hard drive. I just want to take advantage of raid 0 performance. any help would be appreciated as this is my first build.
Thanks Greg
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 542 G Storage
February 10, 2013 1:04:21 AM

Greg1094 said:
Hey Quotemsq:

Yes.

1.) Connect your SSDs to the SATA ports.
2.) Boot into BIOS and change your SATA mode to RAID.
3.) Save your BIOS settings, reboot into RAID BIOS and create your RAID-0 array.
4.) Save your settings, boot to your CD/DVD drive that has your Windows disk and install Windows on your RAID.
February 10, 2013 1:36:54 AM

Ok thanks so much for your help, I no us nebee's must drive you nuts LOL
but thanks again
Greg
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 542 G Storage
February 10, 2013 3:10:18 AM

No problem.
February 10, 2013 12:46:03 PM

Dereck47 said:
No problem.

Hey Dereck47:
if you get a minuet, I was reading a lot last night and have decided to also add a 10,000 rpm
HDD to back up as I am finding that SSD are not that reliable for the long run.
I want to use the two 256GB SSD's as the primary as discussed before. the p9x79 Deluxe has that
SSD chaching so I was wanting to know the best way to go about it.
I am think both 256's on the Sata6G_1 and 2 and than the HDD on the White SSD Caching Sata6G_1E
But I don't know how to go abut the settings. That's where you come in.LOL
Also do I do all this than put in the windows 8 or does it matter.
Any help would be appreciated. Greg
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 542 G Storage
February 10, 2013 2:25:58 PM

The purpose of caching is to give "SSD-like" performance to a HDD with an O/S on it by using a small (64GB or less) SSD to cache the most frequently used data on the HDD. It's basically for people who can't afford a large (120GB and greater) SSD to install their O/S and programs on. That doesn't pertain to you so you don't need cache.

Page 2-2 of your motherboard manual will show you the locations of ports SATA6G_1 & SATA6G_2.
Page 3-29 will show you how to change your SATA mode to RAID.

Connect your HDD to one of the Intel 3Gb/s ports (SATA3G_3 thru SATA3G_6).
Even though your HDD is labeled 6Gb/s no hard drive can spin fast enough to saturate a 3Gb/s port, so you won't lose any performance connecting it to a 3Gb/s port.
Since your HDD will not be part of your RAID-0 array it will automatically default to AHCI mode.

Don't connect your HDD until after you've installed Windows to your RAID-0 array.
February 11, 2013 2:33:11 PM

Man you the man!!Thank you so much.
I really appreciate people like you who don't make us idiots look stupid LOL
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 542 G Storage
February 11, 2013 5:10:15 PM

No problem!
February 13, 2013 1:34:16 AM

Hey Dereck:
PIA again,
with this configuration do I do what you had the other guy do? ( the Marvel 3-33 3-35)
and doing the Raid 0 do I need to add Garbage Control or do the SSD have that already?
I just want to take care of the SSD as much as possible, I read (probably) to much LOL
but they (other's in the know) say you lose GC with raid. Do I need a controler and if so What would you
use.
Thanks ahhhhhGain
Greg
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 542 G Storage
February 13, 2013 2:00:36 AM

Greg1094 said:
with this configuration do I do what you had the other guy do? ( the Marvel 3-33 3-35)

No. All of your drives are going to be on the Intel ports so there's no need to enable to Marvell ports.

and doing the Raid 0 do I need to add Garbage Control or do the SSD have that already? said:
and doing the Raid 0 do I need to add Garbage Control or do the SSD have that already?

TRIM and Garbage Collection are built into the firmware of SSDs so there's nothing you need to add.

but they (other's in the know) say you lose GC with raid. said:
but they (other's in the know) say you lose GC with raid.

Not true. You may lose TRIM but idle GC will still be there to maintain drive performance.

Do I need a controler and if so What would you use. said:
Do I need a controler and if so What would you use.

No, you don't need a add-in controller card. You will get maximum performance from the Intel controller built into the motherboard.
February 13, 2013 2:50:10 PM

Thanks soooo much again
Greg
February 13, 2013 3:10:13 PM

Boy do I feel stupid
I reboot after raid set.
the machine comes on and del to go there again but where do I set raid 0
I went through every window to find it
it does say Raid but the fast screen in the beginning shows the two SSD'd but says NON-RAID
What did i srew up?
I do not have the WD 10,000 hook yet waitint until windows installed.
i did go to Marvel and dis able it
Thaks again
February 13, 2013 3:20:55 PM

I found it by mistake but what strip size to ues 32 64 or 128 thanks
February 13, 2013 6:36:36 PM

Boy I wish I had never started this:
I keep getting Asus Setup
does not support this operation System WNT_61P_64
I also had a time just getting it to acknowledge the drives.
I am beginning to wander what I am doing this for.
I hooked the tow ssd to the ones you said then left the 10000 hdd out for now
it kept saying disc error
then i got pased that and installed windows 8 and then I tried to update the mother board with the disc and it says not compatible with this system and locks out. Freeze
What the ??? did I do. should I start over or ??
Sorry for all the stupid questions. I should have just had it done but I am trying to learn about it.Thanks for any help you can lend
Greg
February 13, 2013 8:40:30 PM

ok here is the deal
I got it up and running but really slow boot and it will not show the HDD that was hooked up after windows 8 install
It shows in BIOS and just will not how went go to my computer all it shows is the two SSD as one.
I went to the website and got the download update for the other msg and it all works fine.
it is slooow though
it goes through he first bios you use o set up Raid 0 then it gives you the logo then it gives you the push delete for bios then it beeps and loads. all of which takes 79 seconds
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks again Greg
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 542 G Storage
February 14, 2013 1:57:52 PM

Greg1094 said:
I got it up and running but really slow boot and it will not show the HDD that was hooked up after windows 8 install

Go into Windows Disk Management, initialize the HDD, assign it a drive letter, and Quick format the drive. It will then be ready to use.

it is slooow though
it goes through he first bios you use o set up Raid 0 then it gives you the logo then it gives you the push delete for bios then it beeps and loads. all of which takes 79 seconds said:
it is slooow though
it goes through he first bios you use o set up Raid 0 then it gives you the logo then it gives you the push delete for bios then it beeps and loads. all of which takes 79 seconds

Go back into BIOS and see if there are any settings for "Quick Boot" or "Fast Boot".
If you don't have any devices connected to your Marvell ports then you can also disable the controller in BIOS which might save you some startup time.
March 14, 2013 8:11:53 PM

Hellllllllllllp
Hey I got this running great, looks great, Second day went to boot it up and got 0E error (micro code not found)
What the ??
it is dead in the water. Any help!!!!!
Thanks Greg
!