Your question

Dropped 2TB HDD, is it fine?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2013 9:30:52 AM

Hey guys, I own a 2TB external HDD by LaCie (2 HDDs in a casing, each 1TB), It was dropped yesterday from my bed which is about 40-45cm high.

The HDD was dropped while it was off. I have NOT turned it on after the drop because I can hear a strange sound from both drives BUT I am not sure whether this sound was always there as I've never put my ear next to the drives and shaken it before, this is why I am asking here as I know you're experienced in this area. I have recorded a video of the sound it's making below, can you please tell me if this is normal and I should turn it on?

Here is the video below, please turn your speakers up. This sound is only produced when shaking it quite hard, but moving it around normally it makes no sound. There is also another sound which cannot be picked up by my camera, but when I put the drives close up to my ear I can hear a very tiny squeaky sound only when rotating the HDD, pretty sure it's the disc rotating, is that normal, since it's a 1TB platter?

VIDEO: http://vimeo.com/57548030

Eagerly awaiting your suggestions, thanks.

More about : dropped 2tb hdd fine

a b G Storage
January 17, 2013 10:06:15 AM

Since there are moving parts in the hard drive you need to run a check disk on it to make sure its GTG.
a b G Storage
January 17, 2013 10:18:02 AM

try it
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 17, 2013 10:35:33 AM

STOP SHAKING IT!!!

January 17, 2013 11:02:28 AM

How far did it fall? it is rated at 1.2m or 3 feet?.
January 17, 2013 12:03:59 PM

Plug it in a see but I wouldn't have my hopes up for a drive like that.
January 17, 2013 12:06:11 PM

the power was off so the head should have been retracted. Shaking it is not a good idea, you will hear the heads bouncing around (a normal sound if you shake a HDD)

I would bet the drive is ok, if you broke a head off of it's support arm you will know pretty quick when you turn it on. The broken head will dangle onto the platter and bounce between the platters when the platters spin.

power it on for a second to get the platters to spins. if it sounds ok, just let it run and see if you can get data off the drive. Sometimes dropping the drive will cause a drive to become misalignment that will cause sector read errors. (to fix misalignment you have to do a full format of the drive to get the heads to put down new sector markers on the platters)
a b G Storage
January 17, 2013 12:36:54 PM

Listen, it's either broke or it's not. The only way to know is to tun it on. BTW, I'd replace it either way.
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 1:30:27 AM

Why don't people actually try things? like just plugging it in??? It will either work and you got your stuff or it won't and you can curse yourself. Its a very straightforward procedure.

***, I dropped my Radeon 9800Pro onto the bitumen road while getting in someones car. Plugged it in, my lucky day XD
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 2:19:50 AM

Well, he may be thinking that if he turns it on the surface of the discs might get scratched from broken parts freely smashing around after spin up.

If the data was of paramount importance. I'd say send the thing out for professional recovery. The safest bet would be disassembly in a clean room and the platters placed in a new unit.

However if that's too extreme/costly. Ya... just plug it in, but be ready to quickly unplug ...if it sounds awful. If it does work, I'd backup all the data and buy a new external drive.
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 2:39:47 AM

wdmfiber said:
Well, he may be thinking that if he turns it on the surface of the discs might get scratched from broken parts freely smashing around after spin up.

If the data was of paramount importance. I'd say send the thing out for professional recovery. The safest bet would be disassembly in a clean room and the platters placed in a new unit.

However if that's too extreme/costly. Ya... just plug it in, but be ready to quickly unplug ...if it sounds awful. If it does work, I'd backup all the data and buy a new external drive.

did you check out his video in the initial post?
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 3:35:17 AM

@blackmancer
Yes, seen the vid and can hear the noise. But I must admit, I've never shaken a HD like that. So I can't say with certainly.

Do you think it's junk?

[And to clarify, I meant sounds awful when powered up.]
a b G Storage
January 19, 2013 1:19:15 PM

TBH I think a friend and I dumped an old IDE HDD out of a fast moving car once just to see and when we didn't like the bounce we got on the first run (just rolled off into the grass) we did it again! and man that thing bounced higher than 2 cars and it still powered up ok without sounding internally broken. just couldn't connect the IDE cable coz the connector on the HDD was mangled.
!