Sign in with
Your question

Need (good) motherboard And Ram for 2500k I5

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2011 9:35:09 PM

I need a motherboard and ram for my I5. (GIGABYTE or ASRock or EVGA P67 FTW or ASUS) ? Shoud I use 1600 or 1333 Memory
whith a Overclocked I5?
September 1, 2011 9:54:06 PM

Shoud I use 1333 memory whith a Overclocked I5 to keep heat down?
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 9:54:39 PM

As far as motherboards... I'd look at the feature set of each board and decide what you really wanted. Then, I'd choose between the boards that meets the minimum feature set you desire.
ie...
mATX or ATX
SLI/Crossfire capable or not
number of USB ports
Is it in budget
etc...

All those manufacturers make decent motherboards. You will want a P67 or a Z68 to be able to overclock. AsRock has the best value of all those manufacturers. Asus and EVGA make the top quality boards. EVGA is the priciest. Gigabyte quality is very good but generally considered slightly below the Asus and EVGA boards in terms of quality but better than the AsRock.

As far as memory... memory is sooo cheap at the moment you should get at least 8GB of 1.5 V 1600 DDR3 RAM from a reliable manufacturer... Corsair/G.Skill/Kingston
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 9:55:56 PM

yowne said:
Shoud I use 1333 memory whith a Overclocked I5 to keep heat down?

I am using 1600 Mhz and I have a healthy overclock of 4.75 Ghz. My ram is also overclocked to 1866 Mhz
a c 75 V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 10:17:37 PM

For the RAM I generally advise that you get DDR 3 1600 but this is the important part make sure that it is 1.5v or lower. Using memory that is higher can damage the processor and void your warranty.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
September 1, 2011 10:31:35 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
For the RAM I generally advise that you get DDR 3 1600 but this is the important part make sure that it is 1.5v or lower. Using memory that is higher can damage the processor and void your warranty.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

thanks
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 10:14:12 PM

yowne said:
thanks, have you had your asus long , have you had any trouble with your asus? I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes I have had it for quite a while. I got my board in the beginning of February. Intel sent out faulty chipsets to the motherboard manufacturers and all the original socket 1155 boards from all manufacturers, Asus, Gigabyte, and Asrock, (EVGA had not launched a board yet) had a potential defect in the chipset when shipped. I returned the original board in March after Asus sent me the new board. By the way Asus had great customer service and sent me a really nice set of earphones for the trouble. Neither the original board nor the replacement gave me any problems. They both worked very well from the get go. Paying a little bit extra for peace of mind is worth it in my opinion. My computer is on basically 24/7 and runs great.

AsRock was founded by Asus as their off-brand. They have since spun off as their own company. That board you linked is considered to be very good. You will be getting the same features as boards that are much more expensive if you buy that one. AsRock makes good quality boards for the budget enthusiast market.
!