Labor Day combo sales maybe?

gnarx

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Want to put together a new machine for the first time in 8 years. Was thinking about waiting until black friday and after bulldozer comes out but I'm too itchy.. Overclocking scares me b/c I will probably burn my house down or something so I won't be doing that.. I was wondering:

Wanting to build around i5 2500 - Could there very well be cpu-combo deals this coming Labor Day on newegg or other sites that I should wait and see for? What mobo and/or ram or gpu combo should I be looking for to build around.

Considering new proceesors from AMD this year and ones from Intel early next year I suggest waiting for a long lasting build because prices are should drop heavily over the next few months. If you want to build something now you might go for something dirt cheap or else hold on to what you have for now.

gnarx

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
so the 2500 will be obsolete early next year? My main goal is to be playing BF3 when it comes out, my current machine will fail at this miserably. If i get 2500 and z68 board won't I be future proof for a few years? What gpu 6950 or 560 or something?

the 2500k won't be obsolete but there will be much faster processors for a similar price coming over the next several months. 2012 looks like a very active year for technology and CPUs are part of it.

It will be somewhat future proof but the i72600k will be more (double the threads). Honestly I suggest you wait until the newer sandy-bridge-E/ivy-bridge and bulldozer CPUs come out before you make a decision on a new build.

Even if you don't want/need the new tech it will make the current gen cheaper.

gnarx

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Whey the hell bf3 gotta come out in October.. probably be a a week before the new chips.. I swear this is all a big conspiracy :pt1cable:

It makes sense because when tech and software for the tech come out at similar times then you can use the new hardware to it's fullest immediately.

Would you buy a radeon 6990 if the integrated graphics from AMD and Intel CPUs/motherboards already gave top-notch performance? Probably not because the massive cost wouldn't help you enjoy/play the games and movies any better which would make them useless as consumer video adapters.

The same principle applies to pretty much all hardware. if 5% of a system's resources is all that was used by the software no matter what you did then you would have no reason not to stick with something worse because the experience would be the same.

These are extreme examples but prove the point nicely.