Need help retrieving my pic's etc from external old HDD

Jen_AM

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

Well to start off my old laptop broke so I had to purchase a new one, I also purchased a "CIT" external hard drive caddy and granted permission for me to access the old files (the old hard drive is an IDE) .. The problem I'm having is.. I *KNOW* the old drive had saved documents/pictures/videos etc stored on there ..however now it's showing as empty :( am I doing something wrong or is there some other way I need to grant permission to view the files? (I did the 'right click'.. go to 'properties'..click on 'security'..click 'advanced' and then tick my current user name on this new laptop.

Please help before I go insane lol

tassietim

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
only other thing u could try , that i can think off is go to Folder Options and check Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives in case that's hiding them

Jen_AM

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Can you talk me through doing this please :/ I might have done it but I wanna double check I'm doing the right thing

Jen_AM

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

hmm,,, my laptop wanted to see if it could throw itself downstairs and survive :sarcastic: it failed and smashed up lol! ..It isn't broken cos of the hard drive it's broken cos the screen had enough of being attached to the rest of the device. -.-

Jen_AM

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Yea I know ..Stupid laptop .. anyway, I don't have access to an old computer just like that ..and I have that adapter :) it's in the CIT external HDD enclosure

Jen_AM

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
There are some pictures that I can access in the "desktop" folder and some files music in the "music folder" .. Does this mean I must of deleted the pics etc..I might of just restored it to factory settings prior to the 'accident' .. I can't remember lol it's an OLD laptop ..

tassietim

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
in windows 7 open up Computer in top left should have Organize(click down arrow) go to
Folder and Search options that will bring up >Folder Options click >View tab you should see a check box 6th one down , has Don't show then Show hidden files, folders and drives , make sure Show is selected hit Apply
Dont know if that fix your issue or not