Sign in with
Your question

Need help retrieving my pic's etc from external old HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2013 11:22:14 AM

Hi everyone,

Well to start off my old laptop broke so I had to purchase a new one, I also purchased a "CIT" external hard drive caddy and granted permission for me to access the old files (the old hard drive is an IDE) .. The problem I'm having is.. I *KNOW* the old drive had saved documents/pictures/videos etc stored on there ..however now it's showing as empty :(  am I doing something wrong or is there some other way I need to grant permission to view the files? (I did the 'right click'.. go to 'properties'..click on 'security'..click 'advanced' and then tick my current user name on this new laptop.

Please help before I go insane lol
January 17, 2013 12:22:04 PM

only other thing u could try , that i can think off is go to Folder Options and check Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives in case that's hiding them
Related resources
January 17, 2013 1:26:17 PM

tassietim said:
only other thing u could try , that i can think off is go to Folder Options and check Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives in case that's hiding them

Can you talk me through doing this please :/  I might have done it but I wanna double check I'm doing the right thing
January 17, 2013 1:28:36 PM

zdbc13 said:
When your old laptop "broke" it's likely that the drive died. Do you have access to an older PC that you could hook it up to directly with the ide connector? You might need an adapter like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

hmm,,, my laptop wanted to see if it could throw itself downstairs and survive :sarcastic:  it failed and smashed up lol! ..It isn't broken cos of the hard drive it's broken cos the screen had enough of being attached to the rest of the device. -.-
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 17, 2013 1:35:32 PM

Well, throwing a laptop downstairs is not good for the hard drive, either. Did you try my suggestion?
January 17, 2013 1:47:35 PM

zdbc13 said:
Well, throwing a laptop downstairs is not good for the hard drive, either. Did you try my suggestion?

Yea I know ..Stupid laptop .. anyway, I don't have access to an old computer just like that ..and I have that adapter :)  it's in the CIT external HDD enclosure
January 17, 2013 1:51:29 PM

There are some pictures that I can access in the "desktop" folder and some files music in the "music folder" .. Does this mean I must of deleted the pics etc..I might of just restored it to factory settings prior to the 'accident' .. I can't remember lol it's an OLD laptop ..
January 18, 2013 4:56:47 AM

in windows 7 open up Computer in top left should have Organize(click down arrow) go to
Folder and Search options that will bring up >Folder Options click >View tab you should see a check box 6th one down , has Don't show then Show hidden files, folders and drives , make sure Show is selected hit Apply
Dont know if that fix your issue or not
January 19, 2013 1:25:28 AM

Data loss from a corrupted hard drive is really common. But, luckily, you could try a hard drive recovery freeware to get back you data as long as you have not rewritten the original data with any new data.
It worked very well since it has helped my friend to retrieve his inaccessible data before.
You could download it there: http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-repair-cor...
Important note: You should not save any new data to rewrite the original data in case of any data loss.
You are supposed to back up your data well in the future.
!