Final $2000 Build

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as my case is back in stock on Newegg.

Budget Range: $2000 before rebates, after tax + shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, and usual computer use such as internet, music, etc.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, SLI (ADDING ANOTHER GTX 480 IN EARLY NOVEMBER BECAUSE IT DOESN'T FIT MY BUDGET NOW)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Again, I am doing SLI for this build but I can't afford both GTX 480s right now, so I'm getting anther one hopefully in early November. Also, I know it's kinda weird but I'm trying to keep a white/black color scheme, because it matters to me :P

Here's my build: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20761408

Just want some general advice, Any changes I should make, and what are your thoughts on it?
13 answers Last reply
More about final 2000 build
  1. The P55 is still capable of SLI, correct?
  2. Correct!

EDIT

The phantom case is a little.. idk.. yeah..
    I would get something like the HAF X
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225&cm_re=haf_x-_-11-119-225-_-Product
  3. So another question, why do all the $2000 budget gaming builds in the competition thread here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/296083-31-best-configs-high-intel-gaming

Use i7's if it's not worth it?

Edit: I really had my heart set on the Phantom case, I love white cases and there's not many out there. It seems to have gotten good reviews all around, and the inside is painted white too which is good.
  4. Ok, case is personal preference. The i7 is better for rendering and such (video/audio editing) for gaming the i7 has no advantage over the i5
  5. Well I'm still leaning towards i7/X58 because I do multitask a lot which I'm reading the i7 is better for, and the X58 leaves me with more upgrade options for the future.

I did change the PSU to a Corsair HX1000, the RAM, and the SSD to what you recommended.
  6. Well multitasking in what way? Like 10 pages open? The i5 will handle it. The i7 is really becoming a waste if you aren't rendering and stuff. But hey, if you want an i7 go for it.
  7. No I mean I'll have like a game client (TF2, CS:S, WoW, etc), steam, firefox, ventrilo, itunes, AIM, MSN, and sometimes photoshop/illustrator open all at the same time, so I don't want my computer to slow down or lock up when I alt-tab out of a game.
  8. And 1 more question: is 1333 RAM good enough if I'm not planning on OC'ing too much, or should I just go for 1600?
  9. Eh, 1333 is fine :)
  10. Just make sure to get lower timing RAM, Cl7 or lower if you're going for 1333MHz.

Personally I would go with the i7-930. You can overclock it to the speed of the 950 and save a bit of money. If you've got $2k to spend, X58/1366 is the way to go IMO.
  11. Well the i7 930 only saves like $20 on Newegg... so not that big of a deal.
    But I was just asking about the RAM because I can get 8GB of 1333 or 6GB of 1600. Wasn't sure which to go with.
  12. And in that case maybe help me pick some out?
    I really don't know what to look for when it comes to RAM.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product