ok so i have this netgear wpn311 adpater that i was going to put in my windows 7 desktop 32 bit. i installed the drivers from the website, installed the adapter, set everything up. it connects to my home network and everything then it says aquiring network adress for like a minute then it says limited or no connectivity. i dont know whats the problem...do i need a netgear router or is it my modem/router. i have a 2wire 1701hg combo and have a laptop connect wifi and hooked up to a xbox 360. i've been trying to fix this for days but havent found an answer. i just dont know if its my network or the card so might as well return it.
First check the router's wireless mode matches the adapter's -- mixed mode is a safe bet.
Also check that Access List (filter by MAC ID) is disabled.
Test with all wireless security disabled -- which may help narrow things down.
You should also try optimising reception and avoid interference.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.