Capacitors and memory

shawn622

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
ok family... i have been trying to build my kids a pc that will run their games and have kept blowing the ram capacitors... i have had 3 motherboards do the same thing. i bench set them up with 2 1gig ddr2 ramsticks the cpu which is pentium d 945 3.2 mhz and monitor. i get set. and power up and POP blown capacitors. it is not the psu for sure because i went from the cheapo that came to the case to a high dollar enermax liberty 500w. i know its not the psu, it works on other computers the capacitors were bulging on the top already on the board and it was new. the only thing i can think of, that i just noticed, is the memory sticks are 800 mhz but the board is only rated for 667 mhz but from what i understand the board should have just ran at max. i need to know what you all think. what else would blow the capacitors near the ram slots out immediately on first power up... i have put together mant p.c.s for friends from scraps and this is the third mobo ive had blow on me first power up. im a bit desperate for answers...

shawn

shawn622

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
the capacitors by the ram have blown on the board i had bought that i returned. then the board i exchanged for a new one of the same boards did the exact same thing. i paid attention to the capacitors that blew last time and the tops were bulging from the beginning. i took pix before putting this replacment to work... ill post before pix. hold on...

shawn622

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
yea thats what i already knew. how can people sell new mobo with bad caps. this was the second board i goy from the guy and the samr exact thin has happened... :pfff: i need a 775 mobo that will handle 4 gig ram and pentium d 945 if anyone wants to donate or sell really cheap :lol: ive got a small fortune in my home build under 100 bucks :pfff: thanks

I think all new LGA 775 boards support down to the P4 chips. Your PD should work in pretty much any 775 motherboard that wasn't built only for P4 (anything less than five years old or so) even if the mobo has DDR3 slots.

I've seen overclocking 775 boards for less than $80 so it won't be hard if you look on Ebay, Amazon, Geeks.com, Newegg, or anywhere else you can think of.

This is what "Caveat Emptor" means! Buy from reputable merchants like Newegg, MicroCenter, CompUSA, Fry's, Worst Buy, etc. - avoid private sellers unless you test the item first and then pay later.