Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to recover data from a unrecognized external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 17, 2013 2:40:49 PM

my external hard drive is corrupted and now does not show a healthy partition how can i get my files back for free. i am disabled and can not afford expensive programs.
thanks
a c 79 G Storage
January 17, 2013 3:39:30 PM

Free data recovery software can be downloaded, but none of them will work unless the system can actually "see" the drive and that the recovery software can read from it. Free recovery software here:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file...

If the drive has failed however, the only way to rescue any data from it is to send it to a data recovery service, but that is very expensive.

That's why keeping all your files backed up on a second hard drive or on optical discs is so important. Backing up data has never been easier or more affordable than it is today, yet countless people still don't bother to even think about it.
the fact is that all hard drives fail eventually and you have to be prepared for when that happens.

m
0
l
January 17, 2013 5:36:40 PM

It may be worth trying to see if UBUNTU will recognise the drive, I managed to recover files from an internal drive using it.

Booting the system gave a message something like SMART BAD, so the disk was seen by the bios. However once windows loaded the disk wasn't available.

I downloaded the UBUNTU 12.04 ISO, burned it to a DVD then booted from that. Even though Windows wouldn't recognise the drive, UBUNTU did. I managed to copy the data from the faulty disk to a working disk.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 12:04:35 AM

Could you find it in "Disk Management"?
If you do, you could try a free hard drive recovery tool to get back your data and format it to see whether it could work again.
A corrupted drive can be damaged physically or logically. The logically damaged drive still can be fixed by re-formatting. The physically damaged drive is not so hopeful. Therefore, to recover your data, you could firstly try a recovery tool. Otherwise, you have no choice but to ask an expert or data recovery company for help, though you should pay some money.
Good luck!
m
0
l
January 29, 2013 8:32:17 PM

srobid1968 said:
my external hard drive is corrupted and now does not show a healthy partition how can i get my files back for free. i am disabled and can not afford expensive programs.
thanks


answer : Hi for you all

i would like to suggest to you to check your external hard disk on other computer , if it works then the problem might be from one of the usb cables connected to your computer , disconnect any usb cable ( if one cable is faulty it will affect all usb ports ) then connect only your external hard disk and windows will recognize it , that problem happened to me last month and i was working to solve it for weeks , i googled the problem and non of the solutions work for me , then i decided to solve it my self and found that one of my usb-hub extension cable is faulty , once i removed it my ex-hdd works immediatly and all my data were available as they are .

try this solution it might work for you and many others.

maasalamah ( bye )

jamal almoqeem - saudi arabia

al_motanabbi@hotmail.com
m
0
l
March 5, 2013 4:44:23 AM

Hi...
I don't know exact reason for your external hard drive crash or damage, but I know one solution to recover crashed external hard drive data.
When my friend depressed because of huge data lose from external hard drive by improper ejection of it, he went for recover tool called External hard drive recovery tool.
It makes all of his data restore back to external drive, first he followed demo version and proceeded through licensed version.:) 
m
0
l
April 23, 2013 9:59:23 AM

La2raineG3ina said:
Could you find it in "Disk Management"?
If you do, you could try a free hard drive recovery tool to get back your data and format it to see whether it could work again.
A corrupted drive can be damaged physically or logically. The logically damaged drive still can be fixed by re-formatting. The physically damaged drive is not so hopeful. Therefore, to recover your data, you could firstly try a recovery tool. Otherwise, you have no choice but to ask an expert or data recovery company for help, though you should pay some money.
Good luck!


i can see it in disk management which free software can be used i have almost 1tb of data i have segate external hard drive both mac and windows conpatible
m
0
l
May 22, 2013 10:45:51 PM

srobid1968 said:
my external hard drive is corrupted and now does not show a healthy partition how can i get my files back for free. i am disabled and can not afford expensive programs.
thanks

Hi, first of all, what kind of computer you use, mac or windows? i have had the similar problem with you, and mine is Macbook pro. here you just confirm that your computer can read your external hard drive, if it yes, then just go to recover data by some professional data recovery software, which are much cheaper ones are stellar, wondershare, umacsoft, and so forth, you can check them by yourself online.

Lucky you!
m
0
l
May 29, 2013 8:22:21 PM

Hey buddy...I dont know it its gonna help you but I found one brilliant piece of software: Photorec. Its all free and it works like a charm...I got 2 hard drive crashes recovered and in one of them Windows wouldnt even see the drive..Hope that fix it.
m
0
l
July 13, 2013 1:32:15 AM

phil22 said:
Free data recovery software can be downloaded, but none of them will work unless the system can actually "see" the drive and that the recovery software can read from it. Free recovery software here:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file...

If the drive has failed however, the only way to rescue any data from it is to send it to a data recovery service, but that is very expensive.

That's why keeping all your files backed up on a second hard drive or on optical discs is so important. Backing up data has never been easier or more affordable than it is today, yet countless people still don't bother to even think about it.
the fact is that all hard drives fail eventually and you have to be prepared for when that happens.



m
0
l
July 13, 2013 1:42:33 AM

A similar thing has happened to me. My Samsung Ex HD just decided to stop working but My Computer recognizes the drive and that it has content, when click on open- the window comes up with selections to view files etc, usually there would be 5 or 6 choices now only 2 and when I open the drive it shows no files or folders from a lap top.

Tried on a friends PC and the drive showed 2 things on the disk 1. a folder called Folder.0000 and a recycle bin neither of which I opened. I tried 3 recovery programs already but not the one mentioned above starting with U. Ironic I am in between moving and PCs and Lap tops and have been looking at pricing for online storage as all my college work, backed up emails, docs, files, programs, my lives work basically for 10 years worth of computers is on this flipping drive.

I am a pretty tech savvy 51yo woman but I do have Chronic Fatigue which is probably why I never thought to save to optical disk, now I feel really stupid...I also can barely afford a new external drive let alone pay someone to retrieve the files. I've been told might need to go into a "clean room" at great expense will take me over a year to save for that.

If anyone knows any programs under $100.00 that WILL recover my files given my disk is still "visible" please let me know, and or if anyone knows anyone in Australia reputable for getting a quote on recovery of my info much appreciated. Meanwhile I will try the program starting with U, and I do know not to allow reformatting or changing of any partitions etc.
m
0
l
July 22, 2013 3:19:53 AM

You can try third party mac recupero dati utility. I have faced the same situation few moths ago but with hte help of this utility i was able to recover my all the data from hard drive.
m
0
l
October 15, 2013 7:34:30 AM

srobid1968 said:
my external hard drive is corrupted and now does not show a healthy partition how can i get my files back for free. i am disabled and can not afford expensive programs.
thanks

Hi srobid
download parted magic from http://www.fosshub.com/Parted-Magic.html and burn to cd with Imgburn available from http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/ set your pc to boot from cd via bios Once you boot the cd wait till it loads you will see desktop look in system tray for mount devices click it you will see 2 windows look at one on right you will see your corrupted external click on mount do the same with your system drive now noting the sda of your external browse the drive by right clicking and open in new window or tab till you find the files you are looking for to copy multiple files click on first one hold shift and click on last one paste these to an empty folder on your main drive should have mentioned you should have done this earlier once you have completed all the tasks remember to unmount the drives click start and reboot your pc there will be some files you cannot see this is because they have become raw and you will need another software to recover them Easeus data recovery is good for this well hope that helps
Coakie

m
0
l
December 11, 2013 1:15:50 AM

How is the hard drive corrupted? You may check whether it spins when you connect it to computer.

Firstly, does the hard drive shown on computer as a drive letter? If not, you may try to go to device manager, and then see whether it is shown there. if not, then most likely it's totally dead. You may have to say goodbye to your data.

If it is still detected there, you may try to assign a drive letter to the drive. If you do not know how, you can follow this guide
http://goo.gl/LutyBN

If your hard drive is shown on computer as a drive letter, then you are quite lucky. You can go to recover data by following this hard drive data recovery guide
http://goo.gl/uV9lJ

After you restored your files, you can do a format of hard drive to fix whatever problem the hard dirve have.

Sometimes, the hard drive may be infected by virus, you may try to kill virus with anti virus software, Microsoft security essential is recommended
http://goo.gl/rx1KFq
m
0
l
May 15, 2014 6:25:51 AM

dabber said:
It may be worth trying to see if UBUNTU will recognise the drive, I managed to recover files from an internal drive using it.

Booting the system gave a message something like SMART BAD, so the disk was seen by the bios. However once windows loaded the disk wasn't available.

I downloaded the UBUNTU 12.04 ISO, burned it to a DVD then booted from that. Even though Windows wouldn't recognise the drive, UBUNTU did. I managed to copy the data from the faulty disk to a working disk.


I know I may be necro'ing the thread, but I had to put my 2 cents in.

This solution worked. My brother has an hitachi g-drive 2 terabyte external and 2 days ago is got a red blinking light on it and was unable to be read by his apple pc. All his editing work for the past 2 days has not been backed up, so simply formatting was not an option.

I saw ur post, I already had a copy of Ubuntu so I gave it a shot. Booted up Ubuntu off of the cd, plugged in his external, and boom, recognized AND accessible.

I will be transferring all his files
To a new external, through Ubuntu, tonight.

Thanks again
m
0
l
!